Half Life...is it like Doom 3?

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,035
edited October 2005 in Video Games
Is it like Doom... I mean really - is it going to be cool for like 2 or 3 levels then completely blow big chunks...?

If so... I'm going to respectfully decline even renting it...
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It has a lot of cool little things that keep you in it, and it progressively moves along more and more until you get to the end, which turns out to be a mad dash to the finish.

It's not so much as levels like Doom ****, It's more a long story with chapters (It does have chapters) Definately worth the rent, even the buy, it may not have the scare factor of Doom, but this game proves that that isn't all you need for a great game.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!

I may have to check it out now..hmmm
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah Doom, and HL2 are completely different games really. Sure they are FPS's but it's not so much run and gun in HL2 as it is with Doom.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I dunno, I kind of like running and gunning. Something refreshing to me about a game that is just "here are a **** load of guns, ammo and bad guys; now go kill em!"
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Eman
    Eman Posts: 60
    edited September 2005
    Options
    No one should die without playing Half Life 2.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    MacLeod- You'll still get that in HL2, but there are other things to keep you in the game. Like all those damn puzzels that kept me entertained for hours the first time I went through the game. The physics in HL2 far surpass the physics in ANY other game, period. One session with the gravity gun, and you'll know what I mean!

I actually just bought a new video card so that I can enjoy HL2 that much more.... even though I've played it through twice already. I just want all the cool textures and effects now :). My old GF5700LE wasn't cutting it anymore.

How exactly do you "rent" HL2? As far as I know, it's PC only, isn't it?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Aha... given the graphics requirements for this game on the PC, I would've expected them to wait for the xbox 360 to release this game on...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Likewise...

I think Microsoft jumped the boat on the Doom 3 and Half Life 2 releases - it should of been released on the 360. The XBox has so many issues running Doom 3 at times...

I don't understand...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Options
    What issues? Mine works flawlessly.

Ill definitely have to check this out. Sounds like its right up my alley.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    During more demanding sequences, it lags...

The XBox does this on several games - such as Halo 2 (on the flood infested wall level) and a few parts in Doom 3...
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Wow I have never had any issues either on doom3, but my xbox is modded, and doom3 is on a hard drive, never tried playing it off a disk.

Hlaf Life 2 has been pushed back a month.Half Life 2 Nore than likely for the 360 release.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png