WTB: amp to power lsi15

Options
millenniumrx2
millenniumrx2 Posts: 52
edited September 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
i have a pair of lsi15 and is looking for a lsic. need amp to power them, will consider 3 or 5 channels. pls post reply.
classe ssp-25,parasound 2205a,hk tl8600,samsung hd-dvd,lsi15,infinity hps-1000
Post edited by millenniumrx2 on

Comments

• racer4551
    racer4551 Posts: 373
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I know of a nice three channel adcom gfa-5503.200 watts x 3 for 550.00 plus shipping.
    *HT PRE-PRO*:Rotel rsp-1068, *AMP*:Rotel RMB 1095 *DVD PLAYER*:Denon 2200,*CD PLAYERS*,Arcam Alpha Mcd 6 disk carasel,Hughes Hdtv receiver, Hughes hdvr2,*MAINS*:Polk LSI 15'S, *CENTER*:Polk LSIC, *SIDE SURROUNDS*:Polk LSIFX,*REAR SURROUND*:Polk LSI 7'S,*SUB*:SVS PB2+*.MONITOR*:Mitsubishi ws48413 hdtv,Monsterpower hts2500X2,,Sony playstation2,Harmony sst-659 remote
  • millenniumrx2
    edited September 2005
    Options
    can you give a website to order or is it from a privet seller
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2005
    Options
    budget?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • millenniumrx2
    edited September 2005
    Options
    around $500 or any great buy
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,

I've been reading this forum for awhile now (thanks to the guys who turned me on the the Fry's lsi7 deal). But this is my first post.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my amp for an lsi system (though probably not this year) from a Denon 3803.

I'm a little confused by the amp power ratings and Polk's recommended power ratings. When an amp is 200wpc into 8ohms but 350wpc into 4ohms does this mean I'm in danger of damaging my speakers if polk only recommends up to 250wpc into its lsi15s?

Thanks for the replies in advance (I know this is a good group...)
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2005
    Options
    1) LSi's need seperate high-current power. There aren't many AVR's that'll give you that- ultimately that Dennon isn't going to cut it.
    2)More power is ALWAYS better. Speakers are damaged by distortion- that is, when the amp is out of control and starts throwing out random high frequency voltage. If you have a lower power amp you'll turn it up too loud and destroy the speakers. A higher power amp will keep on delivering clean power, which, even though it might be beyond the speakers specs, will not damage the speakers.

Back on topic- Adcom is always a sure bet & there are a few bryston 3b's on ebay right now that'll do you fine. They might be ugly, but they're probably still under warranty & will fit your budget.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Hello,

I've been reading this forum for awhile now (thanks to the guys who turned me on the the Fry's lsi7 deal). But this is my first post.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my amp for an lsi system (though probably not this year) from a Denon 3803.

I'm a little confused by the amp power ratings and Polk's recommended power ratings. When an amp is 200wpc into 8ohms but 350wpc into 4ohms does this mean I'm in danger of damaging my speakers if polk only recommends up to 250wpc into its lsi15s?

Thanks for the replies in advance (I know this is a good group...)

You will not damage your speakers with that much power, your speakers will love having it & your Denon will thank you for relieving the strain that it was under driving them!

Your Denon has pre-outs for all channels get a 2-7 channel amp and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sorry to move the thread a little off topic, but your replies have been very helpful. Message received - a lot of clean power keeps my speakers happy, ;) and polk specs aren't written for good amps. I've been more timid on the volume since my receiver THD seems to go up dramatically driving into low-impedance loads and denon doesn't even publish to 4ohms.

My new speakers wiped out my cash this year, but I'll be looking to move my denon to a pre-amp next year. The amp suggestions in this thread are great.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Congrats on your LSI's! Do a search on LSI's & receivers & you will be reading for days with all the good suggestions for amps to hook up to them. Until then, do be careful on how loud you turn up the volume. You don't want to damage those babies!!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • millenniumrx2
    edited September 2005
    Options
    thx for the warm welcom to the club. i don't have enough power to damage them yet!!! hehehe....