Tung-Sol 12AX7 re-issue

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Last week, I bought a Tung-Sol X7 re-issue to use in the gain stage of my pre. This is not a NOS tube but current production from New Sensor. The makers of Electro Harmonix, Sovtek, Svetlana (not SED) and Mullard (re-issue). http://www.thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html

I thought there wouldn't be a current production tube that could sound better than the Sovtek 12AX7LPS which was my favorite before hearing the Tung Sol. But damn, this new tube sounds so good. So far, it's much better than the Sovtek. Bigger soundstage, smoother highs, deep tight bass and killer mids. The dynamics is about the same as Sovtek.

At first I wasn't impressed. It sounded weak and veiled. So I let it burn in for a while and after about 12 hours, things really began to change and it's still getting better. I'm guessing I have close to 70 hours on it so far and it's still improving.

By far, this is my favorite 12AX7 tube. Give it a shot. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. Big props to New Sensor for making kick **** tubes.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I hope the reliability on those is better than the TS 6550's

If you haven't already, try the Ei's.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm very happy with my TS 6550 power tubes. I will try these. It will be hard to beat the EH's though. Have you compared the EH's to the TS's?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hi Troy,
    So far so good. The tube is very quiet and build quality is superb. I hope they last.

I have tried the Ei X7 and this is much better IMO.

Madmax,
    I haven't had experience with the EH X7 but have tried their U7 in the same pre. I'm sure you already know the EH "house sound" but I feel the TS sound is better. It's similar to EH but the mids are much better, fuller and more smooth. Same thing with highs. It makes EH sound grainy by comparison.

Now I can't wait to try the new Mullard. Current production tubes is sounding so good now.

Let me know what you think of the TS X7 if you decide to try it.

Maurice