Superbit??

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited September 2005 in Music & Movies
Anyone care to comment on how superbit DVD's compare to other formats like DD, DTS, THX ???

I don't think I've watched any, and Blockbuster has several titles....was wondering if it would be worth it...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited September 2005
    Options
    "Anyone care to comment on how superbit DVD's compare to other formats like DD, DTS, THX ???"

Superbit, from my understanding (I own several), are designed to give better quality video and sound. They eleminate extra's or put them on a second disc, so that all disc space can be used to provide the best video quality. They do not provide a different sound format, but often to provide a DTS track if the original was only available in DD. THX never comes into play. I believe they are competing "formats". Many Superbit disc are used a reference material. One that comes to mind is Fifth Element. I personally like them and when given the choice will spend the extra cash to buy them. Hope this sheds some light for you.
    Jeff
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    So how do you know if it's a superbit??? Are all the ones with the second disc for the extras, superbits???
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Here's how you can tell Noel

B00005NRNA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I wonder why I've never noticed one of these anywhere??
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Superbit is awesome! check it out!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited September 2005
    Options

B00005NRNA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you only buy one Superbit in your life ..... this is a must have . :D
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    stereo55 wrote:

a demo disc if i've ever seen one. And not just for audio.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I've only been able to snag a couple of Superbit titles myself, but I noticed a huge improvement in video quality.
    Spiderman 1&2 in Superbit are awesome. I think the first one has the edge pq wise, but 2 is very close.
    The Patriot is a good one too.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think it is only Sony Pictures films (including Tri-Star and Columbia pictures) that are offered in Superbit.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • emcclary
    emcclary Posts: 29
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Superbit puts a lot more of the dvd space toward high quality video while offering both DD and DTS. You are right that all other stuff is pushed to the second disc as well. Go the sony link her for the full info:

http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/what_is_superbit.html
    HT Setup
    Rec B&k AVR307 w/updated software and hardware
    DVD Sony DVP S9000ES
    VCR JVC SVHS HR-S3600U
    CD Nakamichi MB3S
    2 Monster HTS3600
    Sony KF-60XBR800 LCD Proj
    Mains Def Tech BP7004
    CLR Def Tech 2500
    Sides Def Tech UIW BPZ/A
    Rears Def Tech BPVX
    Sub Def Tech Supercube 1

Outdoor System
    Rec Sony STR DE197 (2 Chan)
    Cd Nakamichi MB3S CD (Yes I have two of them)
    Speakers Paradigm Stylus 350's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2005
    Options
    stereo55 wrote:

I concur with my colleagues. MIB Superbit is great too.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited September 2005
    Options
    how do the super bit dvd 's compare to the standard dvd's played on a dvd player with the hd upconvertion?
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Options
    how do the super bit dvd 's compare to the standard dvd's played on a dvd player with the hd upconvertion?

If the data isn't there to start with, even the best "upconversion" in the world isn't going to make it better. The reason SuperBit dvds are superior is that they discard the (useless) extras and multiple language tracks and focus one thing only, bit rate. By using all of the space available on the DVD for video and audio, they are able to minimize the amount of compression they use. MPEG compression discards a HUGE amount of the data in the original source to make it small enough to fit on the 9GB's of space that DVD has to offer. The higher the compression, and the larger your display, the more artifacts you will see, not to mention loss of detail in the image. "HD Upconversion" simply takes the 480i MPEG stream and interpolates it to 720p or 1080i. It doesn't enhance the original 480i stream at all, what it does offer in some cases is better scaling than what is built into the display.

Many of the entry level upconverting DVD players use the Faroujda 2310 chipset, that will actually enhance (make more obvious) some of the artifacts of the original MPEG stream, not good. The primary goal of upconverting players is to remove a D/A A/D conversion from the process, and to provide the newer flat-panel displays with a signal that is in their native format of 720p or 1080i. The primary advantage being that many of these displays (due mostly to price constraints) don't offer very good internal scaling/de-interlacing.

With SuperBit, in theory you are getting the best source available. Please note, that "Superbit" is just a title that Sony/Tri-Star use to market these discs, there are many other DVD distributors that use similar technology on their discs, ie the Lord of the Rings series, which had some of the highest bit-rate audio/video available!

Hope this helps,

mrorem