SDA CRS compared to 10B's

Options
markmarc
markmarc Posts: 2,309
edited September 2005 in Vintage Speakers
In the 1980's I owned a pair of the magical 10B's. I now have the chance to buy a pair of the SDA CRS's. However, I have to drive 3+ hours each way to get them. Can any of you give me a sound comparison. It's been so many years since I heard a pair of SDA's that I no longer have a reference point.
Thanks
Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
Former Staff Member TONEAudio
2 Ch. System
Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
Post edited by markmarc on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    3+ hours isn't bad. make a day out of it and do some critical listening. I'd do that if i were in the market for some CRS's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    If the drivers are the same, think, same sound + SDA. You can't go wrong. This is dependent on the tweeter used of course as they changed with each model some.

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I've driven that far for good SDA's. I say go for it. post some pics when you get em
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Get the CRS, you'll soon realize what is, and is not 'magical'.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited September 2005
    Options
    6 hrs @ God only knows how much gas will cost.....

You might be able to get a pair of 20k speakers cheaper :)
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I started with a pair of 10b's then listened to the big sda's, after that there was no looking back found a pair of SDA2's bought them and have enjoyed them even in their stock form. When the opportunity presented itself i grabbed a pair of CRS's and my 10b's are soon going to a good home(Hope to carry them to Maryland in a couple of weeks).
    The crs's are by far better in most respects to the 10's as well they should be, different speaker design, and as Troy put it "if the CRS's were all I had I'd be more than happy with them"
    Compared to the 10b's the CRS's are better across a broader spectrum of music and dollar for dollar you can't go wrong picking up the pair.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I own both the Monitor 10's and the CRS+'s.
    They are more similar than different.
    The CRS+ is a better sounding speaker. Not lots better. But, noticeably better.
    When I want to crank hard rock, nothing beats the Monitor 10's.
    When I want to enjoy the musicality of a CD, I'd choose the CRS+.

The imaging of the CRS+ is absolutely the best. You will enjoy it.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I like other Polk speakers, notably the old Monitor line but after hearing SDA's...why bother with the rest??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    SDA's are the ticket for sure!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D