DX12 in Sealed Box

Options
puckster
puckster Posts: 5
edited June 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have recently installed a single DX12 in a custom sealed box. I built the top mount box as per the directions on the Polk Website and is fully sealed. It sounds very nice with a good tight bass. I had the hatch open this weekend to take a look at the "sub" in action and I noticed that if I put my fingers near the edge of certain spots around the sub, it seemed that I could feel a slight amount of air escaping from the sub-box, obviously from the area where the sub is top mounted to the box. Yes, I installed the enclosed gasket before mounting the sub. Should I torque down the screws tighter? Should I add silicone in conjunction with the foam gasket? Is this of any concern? Or is this normal?

Thanks,

Ken
Post edited by puckster on

Comments

• puckster
    puckster Posts: 5
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Kim, but I', mot sure if you read my post. As I stated, I "built" the box myself using your instructions from the website. So it is not a Q-Form. It is also not carpeted. I used the gasket kit that was supplied with the sub-woofer for "top-mount purposes". So there shouldn't be any "gaps". My question to you is......Is a little air being pushed out of the sub around the rim, detrimental to the sub? I have read posts on other forums that "it is not the end of the world".

Thanks again,
    ken
  • MikeVB
    MikeVB Posts: 16
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Kim,

Thanks for the good info.
    I carpeted my box I built for my Ford F-150 and after reading your post I see that I need to remove the carpet around my GNX-104's also and get a thicker gasket too. I cut out my speaker holes in the 3/4" MDF with a RotoZip tool so it isn't as true as it could be.
    My sub box is down firing into the carpeted floor of the truck so I wonder if the 1" gap between the speaker and the floor is as detrimental to it as is the case with Puckster's post?

Thanks

Mike