Advise on SDA SRS 2

Options
Mike Reeter
Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
edited September 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Being a new SDA owner,forgive me,but I don't know what to expect...The vocals seem to be "vailed" or another term would be "in the background".

The mids/woofers sound phenomenal,but the tweeters seem to be "lacking"...just don't have the presence that I think "should" be there...The tweeters don't have any audible "scratching" or any other "sounds" of failure.

Now,is this the nature of the SRS 2's or,is a crossover upgrade needed,or maybe the tweeters upgraded?

If these results were from only 1/2 recordings,I would understand...But the vocals seem to distant in whatever I throw at them...

Equipment consists of: Parasound HCA-1500A amp.
Parasound P/HP-850 pre
Denon 2900 cdp/dvd
Blue Jean i/c's

Recordings are varied from Pink Floyd,George Thorogood,Bryan Adams,Billy Squier

Any ideas would help...
Post edited by Mike Reeter on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    1. Do you have the IC connected? Check the drivers with the SDA cable connected and un-connected.
    2. Describe your speaker layout. ie, distance to walls, apart, to listening position.
    3. Check to make sure your speaker wires are attached correctly, ie positive to positive etc.
    4. If you have a decible meter, check to see all drivers and tweeters are putting out the same amount of sound as the corresponding driver/tweeter in the other speaker.
    5. And, yes of course, make sure you have the left speaker on the left etc.

You'll get it right, and when working properly, you'll have a great pair of speakers.

-Luc
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have the same speakers, but can't say I have the same complaint regarding the vocals. Do you have the original tweeters in them? I know there are countless endorsements on the boards for the upgraded tweeter. I'll be doing it. You may want to as well.

Is this 'vailed' sound subtle, and you just aren't happy with it, or like, there is a thick-**** blanket covering the speaker kind of vailed?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Vocals can sound this way if the SDA signal is too large due to placement or equipment. I've noticed with better and better equipment the SDA quiets down and the vocals really come out.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited August 2005
    Options
    When I have the loudness feature turned on I get the same effect you are describing with my SDA 2's.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I know that when I got my 2Bs the tweeter in the right channel was not nearly as loud as the left, so I replaced it with another identical tweeter and it was like night and day. I think they can just get old and the sound starts to deteriorate. I would bet that either replacing them with the silks or some fresher stock tweeters will do the trick. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I've noticed with better and better equipment the SDA quiets down and the vocals really come out.
    madmax

^^+1
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Its a humidity issue no doubt with you living in MO. You should immediately put them up for sale on the FM at discount for those of us in drier climates. :D:D

Now to your real problem:

You might get a wiring diagram to insure crossover wiring is correct. If they were used without the IC, many people have goofed around trying to get all mids firing through rewiring. This really upsets the balance on the highs.

Just my thoughts,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Its a humidity issue no doubt with you living in MO. You should immediately put them up for sale on the FM at discount for those of us in drier climates. :D:D

DG

ROFL

My SRS 2's don't sound like that. But it has been dry here. :D Email Polk and ask for an SDA troubleshooting guide.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Could be a number of things, but what you're describing is not typical of SDA's. Good suggestions have been offered, follow thru on those and I'd also look at the interconnects.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Many,Many thanks...yes,I have the i/c hooked up.I know it's working,when unhooking it,I'm not getting sound out of the"inside" mids...

Yes,I would like to have "better" equipment,but I'm trying to put together a decent 2-channel rig on a tight budget.

I know that part of the SDA effect is to present the recording as if it were a "live" session,and the vocals pretty much sound this way,it's just seems like the upper end of a recording can't compete with the mids and the bass???

I have hooked up my RTi12's to the same equipment and upper end and the vocals are coming through just fine...

Of course I bought the SDA's used,but I don't think the previous owned screwed with the crossovers or the individual speakers themselves...although there was no stock i/c included,I purchased it from Polk...

I think my next step will be replacing the tweeters and talking to Polk...once again,thanks for all the replies...

And yes,we have had some rain.But nothing compared to likes of the South and Eastern part of the country.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ...yes,I have the i/c hooked up.I know it's working,when unhooking it,I'm not getting sound out of the"inside" mids...

Of course I bought the SDA's used,but I don't think the previous owned screwed with the crossovers or the individual speakers themselves...although there was no stock i/c included,I purchased it from Polk...

I think my next step will be replacing the tweeters and talking to Polk...once again,thanks for all the replies...

1. You've got something wrong if the SDA drivers are on the inside edge. They are suppose to be on the outside.
    2. Don't assume anything. One of my mid-drivers was wired out of phase.
    3. The new tweeters are great, get them regardless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mike

As others have said, you do have a problem. Your SDA's shouldn't sound the way you have described...

Here is the check sheet

Regards

Scott
  • Mike Reeter
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well,after taking everyones advice,I went back and double checked all of my connections...I have come to a conclusion,I'm a FREAKIN IDIOT!!!

Something a little different about the SDA's than any other speakers that I have owned in my time...there is a LEFT and a RIGHT...

I'm also using some non-terminated 13 gauge IXOS speaker wire that is white and light grey in color,I might have also had a connection screwed up....my 52 year old eyes have a tough time of it once in a while...

Anyway,I set everything straight,popped in Alisha Keys-Fallin...and I swear that babydoll walked right into my listening room and starting singing right at me...

All the vocals and the highs are right where they ought to be and all is well...I truely can't imagine what a pair of bigger SDA's sound like,with twice the tweeters and midwoofers...It must be "jaw dropping"

I thank everyone for their advice and ideas,next time I will take NOTHING for granted...Thanks again.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Great to hear there was nothing wrong. You are in for an amazing audio experience my friend. Get ready to break out all of your music to relisten to it all. You'll swear that you're noticing things that you've never noticed before, even with your most familiar music.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mike,

Another difference with SDA's, do not toe in. You want them parallel with the back wall. Enjoy!

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have have them positioned about 10/12 ft. apart and flush against the wall...I'm sitting centered,approx. 10/12 ft. away.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Your spacings sound pretty good, in that you are trying to create an equalateral triangle,
    between you and the speakers, and between the speakers themselves.
    Flush against a back wall will bring out the most bass.
    The farther out from the wall the more the mids and upper end detail will be evident, due to less bass pressence.
    Typically, 3"-10" from the back wall will be a good compromise.
    The other important spacing consideration is the distance from the speakers to the side walls. You will want at least 3' from the sides of the speakers to the side walls. Move them closer to each other, if necessary to make this happen. 8'-10' apart from each other is all that is necessary.

And As Jesse said, you want them parallel to the back wall.
    Use a tape measure on each corner to insure this, if you move them out from the wall some.

Happy listening!

-Luc
  • Mike Reeter
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks for all the set-up advise...I knew the SDA's were a left/right...In my haste to hook them up for trail run,I simply forgot to ck. before firing them up...

I'm going to work on placement and try to find the "sweetist" spot I can...

I'm now tempted to try to snag a pair of 1.2 TL's that are for sale about 4 hours from here,I swear,this addiction is a hard one to put to bed!!!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Mike ,

Congrats on the SDAs and getting them swapped around. You've been given a lot of good advise on setting them up but I'll add 2 more cents to the mix. Don't under estimate the importance of using a tape measure. You should be able to know exactly how far apart the speakers are and how far your ears are from them. 10'-12' isn't close enough a measurement. Know the distances and make them equal. Another point to remember is not having a back wall any closer to your head than 3' minimum. Sound reflects off of it too.

Good luck and enjoy the 2s.