LS90 - general info

Options
adam2434
adam2434 Posts: 995
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I've had my LS90s for a few years and have really come to appreciate them. I'd like to get some info on them if anyone can answer any of the questions below.

1) Are replacements of the original tweeters and woofers available if I ever need them?

2) Is the rosewood veneer real wood?

3) Any tips/tweaks/mods for getting the best out of them?

I've already learned that high power brings them to life - upgrading from my Pioneer Elite receiver to 2 monobridged Audiosource Amp-Three's (400 watts each) really improved bass depth and control and improved dynamics/transients across the board (more toe tapping appeal). And these improvements are from inexpensive amps (I paid $160 each for refurbs); I can only image what better amps would do.

4) Weight?

5) Impressions vs. the newer RT and LSi towers?

Thanks,

Adam
5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
Post edited by adam2434 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,121
    edited August 2005
    Options
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I got the LS90's. I like them better than the new RTi series, but there different lines, and its like comparing apples and oranges. I only heard ther LSi7. The LSi seems more laid back and smooth. The LS90 can be a scosh harsh, but it suits my needs perfectly for home theater.
    I like the fact that they can take a beating. I'm much harder on the theater than I am on my 2 channel. I use the theater in 5 channel stereo mode for my occational party/gathering at my house. Push em too the limit, they can take it. I run mine on rotels, which seem neutral, but accurate. just the way I like it for movies.

I should hook these up to my 2 channel with the tube preamp and see what they sound like warmed up.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites