Dented tweeter

keith.wagner
keith.wagner Posts: 7
edited June 2002 in Troubleshooting
Does anyone have any experience trying to reshape a tweeter that's been mashed in? It's on one of a pair of RT25i's that I had just purchased that got damaged in a move. I've reluctantly tried the vacuum trick, but it still refuses to go all the way back to it's original shape. I'm going to file a claim with the moving company anyway, but have serious doubts that I'll get anything close to what it'll take to replace it. So, I'll most likely go it alone.

Can I just replace just the one tweeter without having to worry about 'matching' it to the other? Or, is the tweet still mostly functional and I shouldn't worry about replacing it at all. I've not yet had a chance to sit down and listen to them, so I don't know if it's sonically different. But, it does look like crap :(

Thanks,

Keith
Post edited by keith.wagner on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    If the moving company doesn't come through, you can just replace the one. No problem there. Sometime they can be "dented" and still sound fine? Test it out and see if you here a difference!
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    As a last resort, try a VERY lightly applied peice of masking tape, and GENTLY pull it back out....I've done this on dust caps before, never a tweeter....

Never fear, you can get a replacement from Polk of need be....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2002
    You could hire a hooker. Give her 10 bucks for ten minutes on your tweet. She'll have it back to normal in no time..not to mention polished. :rolleyes:
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    I would call Polk and order a new one,
    they are extremely good in replacement parts.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    Like Russ said tape might pull it out, I have taken a straight pin and carefully poked it in a softdome tweeter fabric and carefully worked out a dent, not sure how the material of the RTi series would do? As other said, Polk will take care of getting a replacement for cheap.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2002
    On a similar note.....
    I inherited a set of Advent Baby Legacy II's.
    One of the dust caps in the center of the bass driver was
    pushed in big time.
    Hmmm.
    I took a sewing pin, bent it 90 degrees in the middle,
    and stuck it in the dust cap.
    A little pull and the sucker popped back out.
    I can hardly tell it was once pushed in badly (looked absolutely
    awful).
    Now, don't go trying this with your tweets.
    But, for a dented dust cap, it did the job nicely.
  • keith.wagner
    keith.wagner Posts: 7
    edited June 2002
    Thanks all for the helpful hints. I did actually try the tape method as well. It worked a little better than the vacuum, but appears to have slightly discolored the dome. Surprisingly, the remaining dents are almost gone now that some time has passed. Three small pea sized dents remain. Hard to believe considering how mashed in it was. I'm still checking on pricing info from Polk and may still order the replacement.

Thanks again.

Keith