Polk Audio Vs. Klipsch speakers, which is better?

Options
tdogroeder
tdogroeder Posts: 53
edited February 2013 in Speakers
I have a Yamaha RX-V757 7.1 reciever, and I was thinking about going with Polk Audio RTi6 for fronts, CSi5 for center and FXi5 for surround backs. And Klipsch speakers in the same price range. What would be better?

Also, What speaker would be good for the surround speakers since I can have surround back and surround speakers?
Yamaha RXV-757
JM-Lab Focal Cobalt 816 S's, JM-LabFocal Cobalt CC 800 S, FXi3's, RT15's & PSW 303
Post edited by tdogroeder on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Options
    No one can tell you which speakers are 'best'. You'd have to look at the spec sheet and compare their power handling, construction materials, frequency response, impedance levels, efficiency, etc. to determine which are 'best'. However, audio is a subjective thing, and it doesn't really matter how a speaker looks on paper but how it sounds to you. The only way to get an accurate answer to your question is to find a store that sells Polk and Klipsch (or two stores, each carrying one), and audition them.

Having said that, Polk and Klipsch, I would say, are two very very different speakers. Polk typically, I believe, has silk dome tweeters that are 'smoother', 'softer', and 'mellower'. Klipsch uses aluminum (or titanium...I forgot which) compression dome tweeters with horns that make for 'hard', 'detailed', 'crisp', and some would say 'harsh' sound. It really depends on what strikes your fancy.

As you can tell from looking at my signature, I'm a fan of Klipsch speakers. I don't find them harsh at all with my Yamaha receiver, and I'm in love with their sound. However, you may think they're the brightest things you've ever heard. I haven't critcally listened to (well, anything, lol) Polk speakers, so I can't say much about them, but again, it comes down to what you and your ears like.

Go out and listen and decide for yourself.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • screxer
    screxer Posts: 29
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Only you can say which is better to your ears. For me personally, I much prefer the more laid back, warmer sound of a Polk Audio speaker to a Klipsch. I have auditioned everything from Klipsch Reference to their THX Ultra 2 systems and in every case, the brightness gives me a headache if listened to long enough...I never have this fatiguing sound out of a Polk speaker...especially when combined with a Harman/Kardon receiver.
    Haman/Kardon AVR635
    Polk Audio Monitor 70x2
    Polk Audio RTi38x2
    Polk Audio RTi28x2
    Polk Audio CSi30
    Velodyne DPS-10
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well, this being a Polk forum and all....I'm willing to bet the concensus here would be Polk. Go to the Klipsch forum and they will probably say Klipsch.

Go listen to them both and pick the ones YOU like.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Eman
    Eman Posts: 60
    edited August 2005
    Options
    In seperate listening tests the Klipsch speakers always sounded brighter than all others being compared to. It is a very different sound than Polk but even some Polk speakers labeled as bright like the RTi8, are still warmer when compared to any of the Klipsch offerings. For this very same reason I decided to go with Polk as the Harman Kardon receiver I own is already brighter than the Sony I used to have. Im on my way to pick up a pair of M70s for $630@CC which I prefered them over the bright RTi8 and even brighter Klipsch speakers. I hope the HK + Monitor 70 combo works out as I am tired of looking for speakers.

The point here is that even speakers from the same manufacturer can sound different and it is best for you to sample them with your own music. Even a receiver can make speakers sound different so try them out at home with your gear.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    That has to be the first time I've ever heard anyone say that their HK was brighter than a Sony. :confused:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ^ Sorta what I thought.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    tdogroeder wrote:
    I have a Yamaha RX-V757 7.1 reciever, and I was thinking about going with Polk Audio RTi6 for fronts, CSi5 for center and FXi5 for surround backs. And Klipsch speakers in the same price range. What would be better?

Also, What speaker would be good for the surround speakers since I can have surround back and surround speakers?

Bose are better than Polk and Klipsch.. you knucklehead. :rolleyes:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Rofl
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Why Polk is better of course.

RT1 ;)
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Also keep in mind how your room is decorated. Wood floors, minimalist furniture and window coverings will only exaggerate Klipsch's bright sound. On the other hand, if you have lost a little bit of high frequency hearing or heavy capeting and furniture you may find the Klipsch's meet your tastes ideally. If at all possible, home demo both sets.
    Last, but not least, enjoy the process.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Eman
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    That has to be the first time I've ever heard anyone say that their HK was brighter than a Sony. :confused:

Its true the new 698 598 and 998 also 997 are warmer even the cnet.com reviewer of the 698 thought the receiver was laid back and recommended the klipsch speakers for it. I kind of liked the low end output but you cant beat that crystal clear Harman Sound.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Why Polk is better of course.

RT1 ;)

Well, if we're going to do that.....KLIPSCH!!

:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I really like the Klipsch sound, I just hate the name! :D

Polk all the way baby! The RTi6 is an outstanding speaker! One of my favorites to listen to when I go on my monthly trip to Tweeter to "play".
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2005
    Options
    polk vs. klipsch?

you gotta me **** kidding me.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Drunk eh? ^^^
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Drunk eh? ^^^

boondangoed. ;)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited August 2005
    Options
    One thing I can tell you for sure. I work with a lot of guys that have sold lots of different kinds of speakers, but they've all sold Klipsch at one point or another. And their absolute and consistent consensus is that Klipsch sucks. Fatiguing as all hell, which is probably why they all hate them, as they had to spend a good deal of time around them. Imagine your music coming out of a bullhorn, and you have a general idea of how Klipsch sounds. Polk is a much better speaker in my opinion, and will better display the benefits of better gear (better amp, cables, recordings) than Klipsch. Klipsch bass also tends to be boomy and messy, not articulate. As everyone said, I suggest you audition yourself, but you asked for our opinions, so there it is.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited August 2005
    Options
    When I sell Klipsch speakers to my clients, I never sell a Yamaha receiver along with speakers. It sounds fine if you run it at low volume, but when you crank it up your ears start to bleed. I always push Denon to match the characteristics of the Klipsch speakers. You get a much warmer sound when you crank them harder and the Denon seems to handle the lower impedances with more authority and punch. Polk's would be the best match in my opinion for your current setup.

-Jer
    :cool:
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Oh, NM.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    gregure wrote:
    Imagine your music coming out of a bullhorn, and you have a general idea of how Klipsch sounds.

No, don't do that. Go listen to them; then you'd have a pretty good idea of what they sound like.

jrausch wrote:
    When I sell Klipsch speakers to my clients, I never sell a Yamaha receiver along with speakers. It sounds fine if you run it at low volume, but when you crank it up your ears start to bleed.

I've never regretted pairing my Klipsch RF-35 with my Yamaha receiver.

All this does is to stress even more how subjective all of this is. Go out and listen to this stuff. Then come tell us what you found out.

dorokusai wrote:
    Oh, NM.

Aww, I wanted to see what you said.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Eman wrote:
    It is a very different sound than Polk but even some Polk speakers labeled as bright like the RTi8, .

Funny how the same line up RTi :4, 6,8,10,12 have the same tweets yet some say the one is brighter than the others. Wouldn't that be like saying the Pontiac Vibe goes faster then the Matrix?
  • tdogroeder
    tdogroeder Posts: 53
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I did go out and listen to them, and I was surprised at how much of a difference there is. The Klipsch were much higher with there highs and Polk were a softer smoother sounding. I think I will be going with Polk.
    Thanks guys for all your opions and help.
    Yamaha RXV-757
    JM-Lab Focal Cobalt 816 S's, JM-LabFocal Cobalt CC 800 S, FXi3's, RT15's & PSW 303
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,193
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Klipsch speakers give me a headache. To harsh :eek:
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Molly McButter!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I dont share the same anti-Klipsch sentiment some have. I think they are fine speakers and are excellent for HT due to their high efficiency and the transient dynamics that the horns give them.

That said, I feel that for music and critical listening, they are a bit too forward and they certainly arent something you want to listen to when you're trying to relax or if you have a slight headache you want to get rid of.

Klipsch has a WOW factor that usually impresses the newbie listener within the first 2 minutes of hearing them. The clarity, the emphasis on the vocals, etc. However, fatigue sets in and Klipsch is bashed.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Willow wrote:
    Funny how the same line up RTi :4, 6,8,10,12 have the same tweets yet some say the one is brighter than the others. Wouldn't that be like saying the Pontiac Vibe goes faster then the Matrix?
    depends on the power to weight ratio. Also depends on the transmission gearing. To many factors here for that point to be right. ;)

Now I hear a difference between the speakers even though they have the same tweeters. Did you even put into consideration the x-over and how it's effecting the tweeter/sound? What about the enclosure dynamics? I'm sure those would change the sound as well...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Toxis, you have a point
  • Eman
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Willow wrote:

Well, if a speaker has less output in the mid or lower frequencies then the highs will stand out more so I would describe them as being brighter - how else to describe this I dont think there is another way.

The RTis dont all have the same response so therefore they sound different.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polk and Klipsch......the two most opposite sopunding speakers I ever heard. Oh wait a minute, they are the only two brands I have ever owned. :D
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,049
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Willow wrote:

The RTi70 had a similar "problem" for me... and I have heard alot of the other speakers in that line, and they were not that bright.

I narrowed it down to three things...

1) The midbasses right next to each other crossed over at the same exact frequency. They were very forward on their approach.

2) The crossover or crossover point.

3) Design goals, perhaps due to where the price range sits with these speakers, they make the speaker brighter/design it brighter to make it stand out from all the other speakers in the room. Very old trick that is still alive today. The RT800, RT800i, RTi70, RTi8 may be designed around getting your attention... and thus have a slightly brighter top end with a bit more forward midrange section.

Just because speakers all use the same drivers will not make them THE SAME. Crossover points, tuning, tweeter height - its all different and it all effects the sound.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.