CS350 vs. LS90 high freqs

Options
adam2434
adam2434 Posts: 995
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all,

This is my 1st post. Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

Has anyone experienced the following and have any input?

I recently picked up a CS350 to mate with my LS90s for HT. For some reason, the auto calibration mic in my Pioneer Elite receiver sets the highest EQ band (11 KHz I believe) to +5 dB for the CS350 vs. flat at 0 dB for the LS90s. So, the auto calibration must be reading rolled-off high freqs for the CS350 vs. the LS90s.

Some potential explanations I've thought of are
1) My CS350 is not operating properly, perhaps a problem with the tweeter or crossover
2) My CS350 is operating properly and has inherent rolled-off high freqs vs. the LS90s
3) Placement or dispersion pattern is limiting the high freqs reaching the calibration mic. The CS350's tweeter is over a foot lower than the LS90's in my set-up. Perhaps more of the CS350's high freqs are being absorbed by carpet and furniture prior to reaching the mic, thus causing the auto calibration to compensate.
4) Or, perhaps the auto calibration is not accurate

Any thoughts?

Some background on why I've become more of a Polk fan recently and decided to join this forum:

Prior to finishing my basement, I had a HT with Athena speakers upstairs and a separate 2 ch system with LS90s in the unfinished basement. I planned to merge the HT electronics, 2 ch electronics, and Athena speakers into one system in the finished basement for both HT and 2 ch. I found that I took a major hit in sound quality with the Athena ASF2s in critical 2 ch listening at relatively high volumes. To my ears, the ASF2s' highs are much less refined, and can be shrill on some recordings. I found my self turning the volume down and not enjoying listening nearly as much. I decided to hook the LS90s back up, and ahhhhh, I was enjoying listening again - more natural highs, less fatiguing, and better soundstage.

To be fair, the Athenas are a great value for the $360/pr I paid new, but they are outclassed by the vintage LS90s (for which I paid $175/pr from a friend who was moving out of town) . From the glowing ASF2 reviews comparing them to $2000 speakers, I was expecting them to be as good or better than the 10+ year old LS90s. This experience has taught me to trust my ears and not assume that positive reviews will correlate to my listening experience and preferences. I am ditching the Athenas and building the HT system around the LS90s; just need the surrounds now. That $175 was the best money I ever spent on audio in terms of enjoyment per dollar. Polk will remain on my short list for future speaker purchases and recommendations to friends and family.
5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
Post edited by adam2434 on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I can tell you I also had to jump the volume on the center channel when using a CS350 as opposed to a CS400.
    Maybe a less efficient speaker.

-Luc
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    adam2434 wrote:
    To be fair, the Athenas are a great value for the $360/pr I paid new, but they are outclassed by the vintage LS90s (for which I paid $175/pr from a friend who was moving out of town) . From the glowing ASF2 reviews comparing them to $2000 speakers, I was expecting them to be as good or better than the 10+ year old LS90s. This experience has taught me to trust my ears and not assume that positive reviews will correlate to my listening experience and preferences. I am ditching the Athenas and building the HT system around the LS90s; just need the surrounds now. That $175 was the best money I ever spent on audio in terms of enjoyment per dollar. Polk will remain on my short list for future speaker purchases and recommendations to friends and family.

Here, Here !!!!!

Welcome to the Club.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Welcome to CP! Hopefully you'll become a regualr contributor. If it's not to much trouble try moving the CS350 around a bit. Try to get it to the same height as your mains....or closer anyways and see if that makes a diff. Does the sound seem to integrate well? Without knowing what the 'readings' are for the calibaration would you hear a diff? If it sounds good then go with it.....but I know you want to know WHY....I'm the same way :D .

I'm guessing it's partly due to the difference in both speakers crossovers and the diff type of tweeter used in addition to the positioning.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited August 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Welcome to CP! Hopefully you'll become a regualr contributor. If it's not to much trouble try moving the CS350 around a bit. Try to get it to the same height as your mains....or closer anyways and see if that makes a diff. Does the sound seem to integrate well? Without knowing what the 'readings' are for the calibaration would you hear a diff? If it sounds good then go with it.....but I know you want to know WHY....I'm the same way :D .

I'm guessing it's partly due to the difference in both speakers crossovers and the diff type of tweeter used in addition to the positioning.

H9

It does seem to integrate well with the LS90s. I thought the CS350 used the same tweeter as the LS90s.

Thanks to all who replied.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.