Labor of Love

Options
2»

Comments

• Philpfeif
    Philpfeif Posts: 25
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I was sent the new polyswitches free of charge! I asked how much when I ordered them and was told there would be no charge. What a great company!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Your right, didn't charge me anything.

Got the 750pf's from Handmade yesterday, new binding posts today, now I am just waiting for the caps and resistors from partsconnexion. Paid extra for express post, hoping I will have everything by the weekend.

Ordered the 1.0uf that F1 reccommended to piggy back the 39uf, and decided to also order the .10uf to piggy back the 4.3uf.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Yup, Polk is great at taking care of it's customers for sure. Free parts for speakers that are LONG past warranty. Not bad at all.

The two 750pfu caps and the two 33ohm resisters needed to finish my 2.3s (yeah the order was supposed to be for four 33s but came back as two some how) were waiting for me when I got home this week so I'll be wrapping that job up soon.
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    And sound sensational!
    Played for the first time with the updates AND the new DODD MLP, the increased detail and clairity is phenomenal! Very happy camper :D
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ...later this year the Amazings will go back on the system and I'll do about the last upgrade left which would be to replace the internal wiring in the 2.3s.

Now, if I could only combine the best attributes of both speakers into one package...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Looks good! Don't forget to seal the binding posts with hot glue. You don't want any air escaping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Bob,

Thanks for all this info, I suppose I am not getting any younger and not going to learn how to do this without diggin in, biting the bullet and getting her done.

RT1
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thanks Jesse. I didn't think of gluing the binding posts when I did them. I did use plastic washers and came done on them but the glue is a better idea. (I do use silicon sealer on the Bass Brace so that takes care of that area.)
    Thanks for saving me the time of making up a parts list too. :)

RT1. Go ahead and give it shot. It's actually very easy and worth it. You know where to go if you have any questions.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hi Bob,

Do you happen to keep a summary of the parts and where you ended up purchased?
    Me and my brother both have 2.3, sounds like time to order 2 of everything from your list :-)

Thanks,

-fredv-
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Jesse supplied the parts list, http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29735&highlight=2.3

Lets see. I of course got the new polyswitches from Polk; the fu value caps and the smaller value resistors from The Parts Connexion; the 1% 750pfu value caps, the 22ohm and 33ohm resistors from Handmade's Webstore.

I started out trying to get my caps from Sonicaps but found it too difficult to communicate with them at two phone numbers and departments (sales & tech depts.) with each having only one line, getting interupted and having to hold while trying to squeeze the calls in during short windows of opportunity at work. It just didn't pan out. I've been doing business with TPC for ten years and gave the business to them. I've found that it takes longer to get things shipped from Canada than ever but it took only one quick phone call and I saved a bundle over the cost of the Sonicaps anyways so that's the way that went.

Matched 400v fu value caps - Solen
    1% 500v pfu value caps - Silver Mica
    1% 5watt resistors - Mills
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thank you, Bob.

-fredv-
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Handmade's Mills page, http://www.hndme.com/storemillsmra5.html

Handmade's Silver Mica page, http://www.hndme.com/storesilvermica.html

TPC Solen page, http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html

PS: You have to scroll across the BOTTOM of the screen at TPC site to get to the Solen caps.
  • WilliamM2
    edited August 2005
    Options
    How long did it take you guys to get your parts from Parts Connexion and Polk? Paid extra to PC for express post (3-5 days it claims on site), still no parts. And called Polk last Monday for the polyswitches, also no show so far.

Parts from both Parts Expess, and Handmade, also ordered Monday, showed up in two days on Wednesday.
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2005
    Options
    WM2,

I don't recall the lead time on orders from TPC but Like I said it takes longer than ever these days. I never bothered to pay them extra for quick shipping though either. Knowing it's an international shipment makes me wonder if it's wasted money???

You'll probably see the envelope from Polk early next week. Maybe even Monday. I've never had to wait very long for items from them, usually around a week.
  • WilliamM2
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Got the schematic and polyswitches from Polk today, would have got the caps as well, but PCX requires a signature, have to run to the post office and pick them up tommorrow.

After looking at the schematic, I'm puzzled as to why the 750pf (that's .00075uf) is even needed, as it is mounted parallel with the 12uf. Eliminating it would only change the value by .00625%, well below the 10% tolerance specified. Easy to see why Polk could get away with using 1000pf at 50% tolerance, as I doubt this cap has any affect on the crossover at all.

Of course since I have it, I will use it anyways.