Blackhawk Down

joe6pak
joe6pak Posts: 267
edited July 2002 in Music & Movies
If you like a war movie this is a must rent. It is pretty intense, with a lot of good sound effects.

joe
Post edited by joe6pak on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    rent...RENT! Holy shitballs, this is a purchase. Even with an SE sometime down the road.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    i got it going to watch it tonight.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited June 2002
    Ron-P

O.K. I will not argue with you. For all you movie buyers this looks like a MUST buy. For all you cheap **** like me, this is a MUST rent. Man I sure hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a nasty flame war between the renters & the buyers.

joe
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited June 2002
    I just pick up my copy today but will wait abit before I get the chance to watch it...........

here's some of comments on the package.........................

winner of 2 academy awards (2001)
    best film editing
    best sound

special features....ie mastered in high definition.....sorry no dts!

anyways......it's should be a great fun to watch and to listen to!

dc.:lol:
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    Since there wasn't DTS in this version, you know there is going to be a special edition. I never saw the movie in the theater, but watched it last night here. Man, that was an intense movie!! It was very good, highly enjoyed it. MUCH better than Behind Enemy Lines.

The film transfer was good too, no graniness or anything, colors seemed to be on the spot also. The ratio is 2.40:1 so you'll get some black bars even with a 16x9 TV.

- Steven
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    There IS an SE coming, it was announced months back. There is just no release date set yet. Hopefully the SE will have a dts track, we'll see. If it does, I will re-buy, if not...pass.

If...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited June 2002
    Looks like I'll be waiting for the SE to arrive. No double buying here. I'm through with that nonsense!

Blockbuster...here I come!

John
    No excuses!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2002
    I bought it on the 11th - been waiting for months. I'm a war movie buff, and I've followed the BHD story since it actually happened, and I have the book, too. I'm so glad they decided to make a movie out of it.

I agree DTS sounds better than DD, and it does factor into my purchase decisions, but I won't rebuy any DVD on that point alone. DD is still damn good.

I haven't seen it yet, BTW - maybe tonight.....

Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • justpolkme
    justpolkme Posts: 18
    edited June 2002
    I found myself smacking my hand to my forehead and saying, "OH for God's sake!!!" more than a few times. Yes, I'd say intense...borderline frustrating...definitely stressful. But all in all, a really good movie.
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    Ewan McGregor's roll was great.
    I was bust'in up right after an RPG hit near him and all he does in run away yelling Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck Thissssssssssssss.

"It's all in the grounds, not to fine, not to course"

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2002
    BHD has a very docu-drama flavor to it. Character development is minimal, and I think this was done on purpose. The director and producer don't want us to develop feelings for any one soldier in particular - they are all in this together and we feel for them as a unit, not as individuals.

Watching this movie, you end up feeling like an outsider looking in and I had a very detached feeling about the whole thing - again I think this was very deliberate. It is no SPR in this respect. BHD is actually superior to SPR in recreating the actual chaos and "no time to think" aspect of ground combat - this was so well done you'd swear you were really watching what happened that fateful day. The story very closely follows the actual events, and is really nothing more than an extremely well done recreation typical of what you would see on the History Channel, etc., albeit with more battle gore and swearing, etc.

If I had one word to describe BHD, it would be objective.

1) Movie Ratings:

Story: 9.0 Closely follows a tragic and gripping true story.

Acting: 8.0 Fine performances all around - no one really stands out as superior.

Music Score: 7.0 Some background tunes, most not too recognizable or memorable.

Violence: EXTREME REALISTIC BATTLE VIOLENCE

Nudity: None

Sexual Content: None

Language: High

Rated: R

Movie Rating: 8.0 Intentionally uninvolving and very realistic.

2) HT Ratings:

Picture Quality: 7.5 Detail is excellent but shadows are way too black - I used 55% brightness to compensate.

Sound Quality: 10 Clear and coherent at all times - excellent.

Bass FX: 10 Huge LFE workout.

Surround FX: 10 War movies seem to really benefit from this.

HT Rating: 9.4 Mediocre picture colors, but exceptional soundtrack.

3) Overall Rating: 8.7

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    Great review Doc, well said.

Also, the R2 SE has been announce for a Sept. 16th street, this means the R1 should be coming in right about the same time.

If...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    I also purchased over the weekend and thought it was great and great sounding. I agree with Ron, Doc that was an outstanding review!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • sgtnate79
    sgtnate79 Posts: 12
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    There IS an SE coming, it was announced months back. There is just no release date set yet. Hopefully the SE will have a dts track, we'll see. If it does, I will re-buy, if not...pass.

Ron,

Forgive this Polkie question but what is the "DTS" track and what is so special about it that would cause you to re-purchase.

I will agree that movie was incredible but I can also relate to it. I just recently separated from the Marine Corps.

"I dont plan to get shot in the back, running away!"

Sgtnate
    Onkyo TX DS-595
    Front: R50's
    Center:N/A (CSI 20 Soon)
    Surround:N/A (R20's Soon)
    Sub:N/A (Not Sure)
    X-Box
    Panasonic 20" (Sony 32" HDTV Soon!)
    Sanyo DVD
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    Where dd (Dolby Digital) is the industry standard for movie sound tracks, some studio's also include a dts (digital theater systems) sound track. dts uses less compression resulting in a better overall sound. Rather than attempt to explain it, here is a great little write up.

Get your read on HERE

If...
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2002
    I thought it was impressive that Ewan McGregor went from Moulin Rouge to this back to back (then to Clones, for that matter). How's that for not trying to be type cast??
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2002
    Thanks for the kudos, guys. Ron, I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I can't for the life of me figure out what R1 and R2 stand for - must be a brain ****. What am I missing here?

Doc

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    R1-R7, stands for Region encoding.

#1 United States and Canada
    #2 Japan, Europe, South Africa and the Middle East
    #3 Southeast Asia and East Asia
    #4 Australia, New Zealand, some Pacific Islands, Central and South America
    #5 Indian Subcontinent, Former Soviet Union and Africa
    #6 China
    #0 no region.

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2002
    Thanx Ron. Man, I woulda never guessed........

I won't buy the SE, even if it has DTS. The DD sounded really fine to me.

I noticed in your other posts you are in the Civil Engineering field. I'm a CivE Clarkson grad and a licensed PE. I segued from water/wastewater/sanitary to environmental to EH&S, where I am now. Been a cool journey. Sounds like you're doin OK at that firm. Congrats.

Doc

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    Your welcome Doc.

Yes, I am doing very well, have no complaints what-so-ever. Great job, great boss, great pay, company truck, can't ask for much more.

If...
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2002
    Word has it the book only has DD for now. I'll be waiting on the DTS version which comes out in a few months.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    i thought the movie was very good but i think it draged a little i am not that big in to wart movies but it was ok but everything else was good
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2002
    this is one heck of the war movie folks, you can't tell a better story of war (like real) than this one, two thumbs up for the Director...one of the best DVD of this year...