someone please explain...

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
What is a "system of a down"? What kind of effed up name is that? What the heck is going on here?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    Some new band eh.

Perhaps they should have gone with a non-effed up name...perhaps a city or state...say Boston, Kansas....

Perhaps a dairy product, like Cream?

Maybe just use a lot of Y's, like Lynyrd Skynyrd

Yeah, those are definately NOT effed up. Maybe Brownsnake, since Whitesnake is taken.....speakin of brownsnakes, I gotta sit down for a few minutes.

I got it, how about 'The Fabulous Fabios'

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    HEY! Cut dat out! I can explain all those names! But I'm trying to figure out what the heck "system of a down" is. Just tell me, already. Let me in on it!

Speaking of KANSAS, how come I can't get the great live album, "Two For The Show," with all 14 of its original LP tracks, on CD? What's up wit dat?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    I have the first "Whitesnake" album. Not really in love with it. A few groups were smart enough to hire "The Man" for their first albums. Journey, Nils Lofgren, Whitesnake, The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie. "The Man" is Aynsley Dunbar, drummer of the HIGHEST order (Buddy Rich wasn't human, he doesn't count, class by himself he has). Been watching this guy since about 1969, and they just don't come any better. Flashier, Louder, more bombastic, yes.
    He also had the most awesome finish I have ever seen on a set of drums. In 1972 at a place called Banana Fish Gardens, in Brooklyn, Phlo & Eddie's Band performed. Dunbar had a jet black set with the heavens on them. Jupiter, Saturn, shooting stars & ****. Just gorgeous.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Dunbar is cool, but really early WhiteSnake is better when it's the rhythm section from Purple: Paice and Glover! And the very first WhiteSnake album is actually "Come Taste The Band," the very last Purple album. It's some great stuff.

But still, what the heck is a "system of a down"?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Actually, I don't care at all for the Whitesnake stuff. Don't really like the first Journey either. Just the two instrumental cuts, Topaz, and Kohoutek. I just want a complete representation of Dunbar's work. He gave me a drumstick in Brooklyn. Still have it.

I like "Smoke on the Water". Probably because of the story it tells. The Mothers' (including Dunbar's) equipment burning up in Switzerland. I have seen "Machine Head" a hundred times, but just haven't picked it up.

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2001
    the drumer you are talking about did'nt he fill in sometimes in paul shaffer's band on the david letterman show? his name sounds so familler.

scott:cool:
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Not sure Scott. Not a Letterman watcher. Could be. Great session man. Earned big money. He's got to be in his 50's now. Not young enough to be cool, or good, if you know what I mean.

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited September 2001
    [justin blows the dust off Micah]

Here you go old-timer...it's called the internet. You can look at the band's "webpage" and view what they are ALL about. You are welcome.
    "Our heritage, our politics are really important, but our musical vibe together is the thing. Our live performances speak for themselves." -- System Of A Down

~Justin
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    That's great Mistake-Boy, but they never 'splain what the hell their damn name is or means. The site if filled with tedious, psuedo-intellectual faux-political nonsense. I can't believe anyone buys into this pap. What a bunch of goofs. They take themselves so seriously it's like Spinal Tap.

What is a "system of a down"?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited September 2001
    Well Rat me out man. Some times there are names that don't need to be 'splained. Just accept them. Perl Jam, what the hell did that mean? Turns out some stupid **** jam Eddie's grandmother used to make or some BS. Do you really care that much for some worthless explanation like that one?

~Justin
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Yeah, okay. I knew that. Now I need to know what a "system of a down" is. I'm just trying to find out. Why are you stomping on my pursuit of knowledge?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com