idiot guide of separate config ???

Options
stef_000us
stef_000us Posts: 29
edited June 2002 in Electronics
Hello everyone,

Is there a idiot guide for separates configuration available somewhere? A web page? a book?

I finally master the on/off button on my receiver (seriously, I wouldn't be able to gave a good explanation of the difference between a pre-amp and an amp).

In these forums, I am reading a lot of configuration that you guys have done: pre-amp, multiple amps, receiver/amps combo, speaker connect in series or in parallel, impact on ohms, etc... I am looking for some documentation that would explain the basis of all these mysteries and also goes in the depth of the subject.

Any good source of information that you could point me to?

Thanks again,

Stef
Post edited by stef_000us on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    Options
    TroyD and Russman are always scouring the web for this stuff, so maybe one of them can point you in the right direction. If you have some questions, just ask and someone will help yoou.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I wish there was a site that had a system builder similar to Polk's!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Options
    this may sound corny but if you go to Circuit City (Best Buy or whatever) ....Monster Cable makes a pretty cool little cheat sheet showing the different connection options as far as hooking everything up....

Preouts, pretty simple, run an interconnect cable from the preout on the receiver to the input on the amp and wire your speakers from the amp....

I did a lot by trial and error......if you are organized, it's a lot easier.

Check here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/hthandbook.php

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • stef_000us
    stef_000us Posts: 29
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. I read the description of the book and it is seems to be right on what I was looking for. Now I just need to wait for the mail delivery....

One of the review of the book bring me a smile. Here it is:

"
    As long as the author sticks to straight-forward info (such as explining why a pre-amp is often needed between a source component and a power amp) the book is useful. Too often, though, it degenerates into high-end silliness about interconnects, speaker wire, digital dither and the like. The author gets a bit pretentious when declaring that price and sound quality are not always related when he gives an example of $10,000 speaker vs. a more "affordable" product that goes only for $4,000!

It's an ok book provided the reader keeps his/her BS detector powered up.
    "

The other reviews were great and the table of content seems to address the topics I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Stef