New amp on the way!!!

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited June 2002 in Electronics
New amp on the way! Well, used but new to me. A Jolida 502A with 6550 tubes. I can't wait! Is there any difference between 6550 tubes and KT-88 tubes? This will make tube amp number three. Does anyone out there have experience with the 6550 tubes? I think there is a common upgrade out there for 6550's but I haven't found it recently.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    Awesome, I've been thinking about that amp, but I'm more than likely going to be going with the JD 1501 hybrid, to push either LSi15's or Dynaudio Audience 72's. There is the outside chance that the Epos M15's will make a late run and win out.

What are you going to run with your 502A?
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    I have the 302A also so I think I am going to biamp with the 502A for midbass/midrange and the 302A for the treble. I am running SRS SDA's. I am also going to try the 502A as a sub amp for the fun of it but I don't think it will have the power. From all the reviews I've read it sounds like the 302A has better midrange detail and the 502A has better bass. The problem with the sda's is that they have bass and treble inputs and the midrange is included with the bass. So which one to use where???
    madmax

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited June 2002
    would one of the jolida amps run a set of monitor 12's?

scott:cool:
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    would one of the jolida amps run a set of monitor 12's? You betcha', and probably very well; they have so many variations on the theme, I think you'll find that one of their hybrids will do the trick nicely.
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    The 302A kicks **** on a pair of 1.2's. (50 watts per channel) I haven't tried it on anything else. I connected it in place of the Sunfire 300 and it feels just as powerful. This is 50 watts of he-man power!
    madmax

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    hmmmm.........before I would be thinking about Jolida amps, I might consider living up to my current obligations.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Yet another post from the forum con-artist..... How does this guy sleep at night?

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    I received an e-mail from the amp seller the day after I mailed him the MO. He has already shipped the amp from CA and sent me a tracking number. He said he went ahead and sent a few extra extra sets of tubes he upgraded from as well! Isn't that something! :)
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2002
    I hate ordering stuff from CA! As quick as the seller was it will still be Tuesday before I get it! Anticipation sucks! I think they need a special arrangement so that if you order audio stuff from CA they stick it in an airplane and get it to you the next day at no extra charge. It's only right!
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2002
    I received the new (used) Jolida 502A at 8:00 this evening. FedEx delivered it. I was a little worried about the sale because I had bid on a 302A on Ebay and after I lost the bid this guy emailed me and said he had a better amp for sale and would offer me the same price I bid. This is a recipe for getting ripped off. I took him up on the offer anyway. This amp is absolutely mint, has a few performance modifications and came with this huge box of tube upgrades. I think (after two hours of listening) that I like it a little better than the 302A's which I have two of. This amp is awesome!!! The SDA effect with my SDA-SRS's is ever so slightly less but it seems to have an edge on power. The 6550 tubes this thing uses is superior in looks because the tubes are almost 2" in diameter rather than about 1" like the EL-34's, not that that means anything. Absolutely awesome amp and seller!!! Not a mark and upgrade city! Heh heh, I'm feeling a little giddy! Tubes are the ticket.
    madmax