EX-2550's verses the EX-2560's?

Options
MikeVB
MikeVB Posts: 16
edited June 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been a long time Polk customer.
I just put a set of Polk EX-2550's in my 1998 F-150 and they sound great but I have heard some people say that I should have bought the EX-2560's because the 6-1/2" woofer produces much better sound than the 5-1/4" I have. I also am running a pair of Polk GNX-104 subs in the back so bigger bass from the 6-1/2's isn't very important. Is there a significant difference between the 6-1/2's and the 5-1/4's?

Thanks

Mike
Post edited by MikeVB on

Comments

• MikeVB
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks Kim.

I appreciate the help.

Right now I am running the 2550's with the highpass crossover from the amp set at around 140Hz and the lowpass crossover going to the GNX-104's at around 100Hz.
    Is this about right?

Mike
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited June 2002
    Options
    No, you should have the mids high passed at least at 100. Also, you will want to lower the x-over point on the subs to around 80.-J
  • MikeVB
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Josh
    No, you should have the mids high passed at least at 100. Also, you will want to lower the x-over point on the subs to around 80.-J

Thanks Josh.

Actually my amp has a 50Hz and a 140Hz setting marked on it and no markings in between so I have to kind of guess where 100Hz is about at. I'll try lowering the lowpass to 80Hz as you said and see how it sounds. The 5-1/4" woofer and 3/4" tweeter have their own passive crossover that they are connected to but I am unsure as to what frequency the crossover points are factory set at. When I turn the volume up to around 20 or so on the Alpine head unit the 5-1/4's will start to distort some from the bass frequencies going to them so that it why I had it set at 140Hz on the highpass crossover to the seperates.

Mike