Atlantis won't play in the Toshiba

rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited June 2002 in Music & Movies
I rented Atlantis last evening. I'm having the same trouble my son has with his Bubble Boy DVD. It won't play past the previews. It prompts you to select "menu" to play movie, but when you do, it only cycles through the previews again. I tried hitting every button on that daim blad remote and up on the unit itself. Nothing.

I then had my wife return the DVD to the rental place and she then rented it from a different rental place. Same daim blad thing.

Has anyone had the same trouble and if so, how'd you fix it. I'm using the Toshiba 2705 and love it in every other way, except for these 2 glitches.
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited June 2002
    sorry to say ......I have the Toshiba SD 5700........the Alantis DVD seems to work okay!

dc.:lol:
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2002
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited June 2002
    Check it out man,
    Pioneer DVD players don't suffer from all the things that Toshiba and other brands do.
    If you want to avoid all the problems...I would check out Pioneer DVD palyers.I own 2 and had none of the past couple years of problems I have read others had.
    I can tell you this with out offending you,Toshiba leads the pack In troublesome DVD players.
    Hidden secret.....Integra used to use Toshiba to help make there DVD players, now they use Pioneer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    check the link by wodom1, the fix is there....

I dunno, I haven't seen any hard data :D to support that the Tosh's are anymore unreliable....

The two I've got I like, I like the single disc sd1200 better than the 2705 5 disc changer but for the price I paid, I've got no ****.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    Can you lead me to the fixit link you are referring to?

thanks.
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    Found it
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    no worries there Gordo...

BDT
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    Atlantis and Bubble Boy now up 'n running. Thanks for the link.

Hey Mantis - I'll stick by my Toshiba given that tiny fix - set the thing to English and Voilah! Instant Movie.

Now I have something to do tonite!

I love this club!

rlightfoot aka Gordo
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Thats cool just tring to help.
    Dan
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    OK, thought I was in business. Sat down to watch the movie. Got past the initial previews and to the menu screen. Got the Dolby Digital theater sounds, then the Disney "Digital Magic" screen and sounds. Chapter one started...NO SOUND!

I went through set up again...NO SOUND!

I tried the 3 surround modes on my Denon 1802 - D. Digital, Virtual 2 channel, and Stereo 2 channel. The only one that gives me sound for the movie is Virtual 2 channel sound.

I popped in Bubble Boy. I got past the previews to the main menu. My Denon receiver auto selected D. Digital. Chapter 1 began and I have 5.1 sound for Bubble Boy.

Why am I not getting sound for Atlantis?? I suppose I'm going to have to rent it from the other video store to see if the disk is bad? I suspect it isn't. At least I can get 2 channel to watch the movie, but the opening sequence seems to be some back to front styff flying around the screen.

Is this another Toshiba issue easily fixable?

Troy....HELP!
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Are you willing to suffer threw fixing it???
    I wouldn't be the first sight of it and out of my rig it would go.
    Just how I feel in this type of situation.
    Pioneer Elite all day long.
    Dan
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    not surewhat you mean, Mantis. All my other DVDs work fine. It's just the Atlantis DVD.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    are you using a digital cabble or a optical cabble? if you are do you have your dvd set to pcm i think that is what is called on my toshiba i think i have the 1200
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Gordo,

I'll pick up a copy of Atlantis tonight from Ballbuster and see what I come up with. Pretty sure dylan said it worked for him.

Agreed, I sure am not going to ditch a player of 1 dvd, that's kind of silly I think.

Troy
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2002
    Well that sucks, I know how frustrating this can be. I have played Atlantis (twice) and Bubble Boy fine... I also checked with a friend that has a 2700, and it was fine there, too. This kind of sounds like a separate issue, though, and like goingganzo mentioned I wonder about the PCM settings. If I remember right, the 2715 has something like Dolby D, Dolby D+ PCM, and just PCM. Except other discs are playing fine... huh, that's really weird...

Check there and see what it says... I'll look tonight when I get home and let you know... Like wodom mentioned in the other thread, this disc seems to be a pain for some reason.
  • rlightfoot
    edited June 2002
    I tried messing with the audio set up settings on the Toshiba. No go. It's fine. It's not a must have DVD for my collection, though I would've liked to have enjoyed it in D. Digital 5.1

Here's hoping that's it for issues with the Toshiba.