Feeling bass

dlew308
dlew308 Posts: 530
At what Hz and db range should one start to feel bass? With my psw450, it shakes the cabinents and I can feel it upstairs but i want to feel it sitting on the couch.
Post edited by dlew308 on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    I think you need to work on the placement of the sub. Try putting it upstairs or inside one of your cabinets, then you should be able to feel it downstairs. :P

Seriously through, search around for threads on subwoofer placement. Or just try moving it around your room a bit untill you can feel it on the couch. Try a few different corners of the room....
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    It's in the corner, I had it in the middle. It sounds good and all but doesn't rock the couch <g>
    I guess I'll try again. My sonotube may be replacing it shortly.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2002
    Hey phuz, I noticed you have a Harmon Kardon DVD50 in your coming soon section. You might want to re-think that. I realize you probably want your dvd player to match your receiver, but the dvd50 has some real reliability issues, from what I've seen. I don't think the store I work at ever sold one without having it come back defective.

One of my coworkers did talk to an H/K rep the other day and apparently they do have a new dvd player coming out, and it will be manufactured by a different company. He was aware of the issues with the dvd50 and assured us that they will never have such problems again.

Just a heads up.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    From what I understand the DVD-50's problems have been resolved in a software upgrade. All of the models made before Dec. 00 had major problems. Some of those were fixed in MFG, then the rest were fixed in the software upgrade in 01. (I think thats right)

I plan on getting a good open box deal at CC, and the 3 year extended warranty. So I can always get a replacement (even a newer model) if it does go south. CC has a really good extended warranty plan.

HK has already come out with a new, single disk DVD player. It's too new to find any reviews though. It's color matched to the new AVR-X25 series (silver instead of gold) - that in combination with the fact that it's a single disk, and does not do HDCD decoding means I'm stuck with the DVD-50 for now. I'll take my chances. Thanks for the heads up though.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2002
    I kinda liked the gold trim. Too bad it's going away.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    (¯`·._ (¯`·._-=- FIRESHOES -=-_.·`¯) _.·`¯)

Cool signature! :cool:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited June 2002
    >>At what Hz and db range should one start to feel bass? With my psw450, it shakes the cabinents and I can feel it upstairs but i want to feel it sitting on the couch.<<

I would say that one starts "feeling" bass (as opposed to differentiating separate notes) below about 30 Hz. As a reference point, I think the low E string on a bass is around 40-45 Hz, so we're talking a half-octave below that.
    Musically, there's not a whole lot down in that region (below 30 Hz)--besides bass drums and a couple symphonic instruments.
    There is, however, lots of LF info in that region in movie soundtracks and some electronically-enhanced modern music.

One reason you feel the low frequencies outside the room more than at your listening position is that high frequencies are more easily attenuated. High frequencies just will not travel through a wall or ceiling like low frequencies will. All you're hearing outside of your listening/viewing room is the bass. That's why you can hear the LF stuff in an adjacent movie theater but can't hear the dialog. It's the same reason you can hear the deep bass of a distant powerful car stereo. The upper frequencies can only be heard inside the car, while the bass can be heard--or felt--several hundred feet away.

If you're not sure of your sub's contribution, disconnect it. A good sub shouldn't be "heard." You should only notice it when it's missing.

After several beers, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Give War A Chance