Hey Polk is Alpine MRD-M500 Class D 500w enough for 2 new MM12?

Options
DAlba
DAlba Posts: 124
edited June 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Might sound crazy but Im selling my two MTX1000d and four Polk MM100. I will be getting two Alpine MRD-500 and four Polk MM12. I just am not happy with my current set-up. My MTX 2300x and two Polk 12" DB sounded better. The MM100 are bottoming out too easy.

So the question is: Will 250watts per MM12 be enough.
Post edited by DAlba on

Comments

• DAlba
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Kim, when you say 500w bridged...is that per sub or for the pair? The Alpine would be 500w 2ohm mono which i guess is the same as bridging an amp for each pair?

Also, what do ya'll think of these class-d amps. It seems like everyone is going this route. They are cheaper, smaller footprint, less heat, etc. But do you see any disadvantages. I haven't seen any class-d amps in Polk demo vehicles.

Thanks
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2002
    Options
    You will soon- we're working on a Protege5 and a 2002 M3 right now, and we've got an M500 for each car to run a pair of MM12s. I just got the amps last week, and the Protege (which is further along) still isn't quite ready for the amps. By the end of the week maybe I'll have an opinion for you. Up until now we've been using the Alpine MRV- T757 for sub amps in most of our company vehicles, and they've worked out well. The M500 is very similar power, so it shouldn't be a problem.
  • DAlba
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hey Thom, I just received my two Alpine M500's. I hooked them up to four Polk M100's until ya'll release the MM12's.

Anyway, have you had a chance to go through the setup on these amps? I would appreciate any tips you have because the manual does not explain in detail what each setting actually does. My headunit is an older Alpine 7940. Still waiting on my Alpine 7998.

Thanks