bi-amp

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited June 2002 in Speakers
by removing the straps across the binding post what have we changed internally to the speaker?
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Zero, Zip, Nada (internally).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Now I'm totally confused. What have I actually accomplished by bi-amping my cs400? Y out of H/K center Pre into 2 separate amp stages out to the speaker?

How does this imact the crossover?

Thanks for your patience in advance but I'm just learning.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    You bypassed the thin brass jumper for starters (obviously). Additionally, you have given the mids/tweets their own power supply to draw on (from each seperate amp), they are no longer having to share a single amp's power/headroom.

You didn't affect/alter the crossover at all, nothing changed internally.

RonP just did this also on his front soundstage, and Chuck (madmax) had similar comments.....You should be hearing a difference...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    Options
    the crossover is two units, one part for the highs, one part for the lows, both of these parts need to be hooked up to your amp. you can do this by running a speaker wire from each input terminal of the speaker to your amp (bi-wiring) or you can tie both speaker terminals together with a metal jumper and run one speaker wire from the amp to the speaker input. Hope that was clear.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I muddled my way through it and most definetly found a difference. I was unsure of what it did to the speaker itself.

Also, if you have the time... By using the Y at the preamp out we split current but the voltage remains the same across the 2 Amp inputs? What impact if any do we see in power reduction and is there a standard that ensures PreAmp out /Amp In compatibility other than Input sensitivity?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Talk about an in-your-face difference. I thought the difference would be minor at best, boy was I wrong.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Your Right Ron. Big Change in clarity regarding conversation. I had a hard time prior making out what was being said....
    ***WAREMTAE***