is it just me???

Options
juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited June 2002 in Music & Movies
what is it about DVD's that make them so damn addictive to own? why am i compulsed to buy every movie i think i could ever watch twice??? i probably only ever owned 20-30 VHS's over my whole life, and in the past 4 years of DVD, i've accumulated hundreds of them. anyone else been sucked into the gleam of DVD purchasing (who wasn't a purchase fanatic before)???
Post edited by juice21 on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I've also been amazed at the DVD hysteria. What gives? Maybe it's just because we're dealing with HT freaks which are the exception to the rule.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Options
    what is it about DVD's that make them so damn addictive to own? why am i compulsed to buy every movie i think i could ever watch twice??? i probably only ever owned 20-30 VHS's over my whole life, and in the past 4 years of DVD, i've accumulated hundreds of them. anyone else been sucked into the gleam of DVD purchasing (who wasn't a purchase fanatic before)???
    Holy Cow, it is like you read my mind......... I have the same problem. And then u add the value of all your DVD's and you could have bought a CAR. Crazy---but at least we are not snorting the $ up our noses. :p Hey I wonder if there is a DVD anonymous.:rolleyes:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    For a while I found myself waiting for Sundays paper to see who had the best deals on the latest movie titles.
    I also found myself in Best Buy more then most Humans.
    When I first got into DVD when it came out,I only owned 1 disk.Then I picked up another one and then another.There was a time where I tooked for DVD's thats would make my system sound its best if I liked the movie or not.One dVD I bought without likeing the Movie was THE HAUNTING it was one of the first 6.1 DVD's and I wanted to play with that format.
    It's funny when you look at your collection and realise how much money you invested in it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited June 2002
    Options
    well I got into DVD early (around 1998) back when there were unheard of deals on the internet..Id say half the movies I own I got for 10 bucks or less with shipping..it wa sunheard to pay more for that let alone walk into a best buy and buy anything..now its a different story so I alittle more selective but yes it is an addiction
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Wow, you guys are dvd FIENDS ...

You guys do buy used and pre-viewed, tell me you do.... Eff retail.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I wait until BallBuster has 'em 2 dollars or 25% off previewed......

Only ones that I buy new are concert DVD's

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2002
    Options
    i do have some previewed dvd's from BB. like bill, i got into the DVD buying frenzie while i was in college. if i couldn't get a disc shipped to my door for $4, it was paying too much. i got over 100 of my dvd's like this. there use to be mad deals on the interenet and you could stack 2 or 3 on top of each other. ah, the good 'ol days...:D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    My collection is over 150.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Ron, you ever get that 'Talented Mr Ripley' dvd I sent you? I don't know why that popped into my head just now, I don't think I ever followed up.....

-R

(GREAT example of what could have been a Private Message, had it been enabled)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Sure did. I enjoyed the movie, wife did not care for it too much, not quite her style.

Thanks bro, thought I sent you an email on that, sorry if I did not.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I agree with you all. It's addicting. Fortunately, I'm able to keep a stranglehold on my urges (that doesn't sound right) and only have accululated about 12 or 13. Most are unanimous family choices: Shrek, Phantom Menace, Harry Potter, Best in Show, JPIII, Planet of Apes, in addition to the following music DVDs: Steely Dan, Bee Gees, Diana Krall, Eagles (got it sounding much better, BTW).

I seemed to have gotten pretty good deals either through Ebay or as "prior-viewed" at the video Store ($10 or less) and Harry Potter was a steal at $14.99 at Target before the price rose to it's current $17-19 level now.

But I whole-heartedly agree - there's something about them that makes you stop and look every time you pass them, wherever you are.
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
  • wickman
    wickman Posts: 6
    edited June 2002
    Options
    the way i justify it to my wife is why pay $5 to rent something that for $10 more you can own the dam thing...another thing ill do is rarely buy a dvd without the features...nothing worse than having a good movie with theatrical trailers and french subtitles listed as the extra features....what a waste