Turning back the hands of time for me.

Options
Dennis Gardner
Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Just got a nice piece of my audio history. This is the same amp that my dad got me started in audio on in 1974. What a great 16th birthday present, huh?

I can't wait to find a pair of JBL L-100 Century speakers to hook it to. Just like the old days. This was one of the only amps I have ever had that I could crank to full volume without any distortion whatsoever. Just as clean, only louder.:)

Doobie Brothers, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer, here I come!:D
HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
Post edited by Dennis Gardner on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Rear.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Awesome. Looks near mint.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Awesome. Looks near mint.

It is. All lettering in place and no smoke stains, scratches, or smudges around the knobs.

It really is sweet.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2005
    Options
    what is that round connector thingy:confused:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    It says Rec/Play. It looks like a mic input.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Dennis Gardner said
    I can't wait to find a pair of JBL L-100 Century speakers to hook it to

I used to have a Marantz amp with L100's complete with the blue grills. The wife hated them.:) Good luck with finding another set. The L100's have become hot items on Ebay for some reason.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The grills for the L100s will set you back just about as much as the speakers will. Talk about poor quality foam.:D

The Marantz/JBL combo was really great for a small dorm, apartment living rooms, etc. when my stereo cost more than my car did. I ran a ton of vinyl through that amp!

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Two things Dennis.

1. I might have a wood case to fit that Marantz.

2. I have a pair of 4311's, the studio version of the L100 if you're so inclined to discuss further.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I'll let you know Russ, I personally like the monitors better than the home models, but couldn't swing them when in school. This Marantz with the how efficient the L100s were would just scream in a small room.

PM me with some $$$.

• Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I think you'll find that the funky round connector (REC/PLAY) is a European type connection to a tape deck. Always thought it was a nice idea to make a single plug for both channels & both in & out, but it never caught on here in the US.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I have those tape connectors on a lot of my vintage receivers. Both my Marantz 2220b and Pioneer SX450 have 'em.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Is that the 1060? My eyes must be going, cause I can't read the markings. If it is, I grew up with one also, and used it daily til 1989. Great integrated amp. It drove some Smaller Advents. I almost picked up one last month. Someone local had a mint one on Ebay. I should have went ahead and picked it up:( . Hindsight is 20/20, huh?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yep, it is the 1060. Looking to set up a simple vintage rig just because I can. Sometimes you have to bring back some items from your youth to appreciate them again.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Dennis Gardner
    Yep, it is the 1060. Looking to set up a simple vintage rig just because I can. Sometimes you have to bring back some items from your youth to appreciate them again.

I knew I should have picked it up. Damn fine piece of vintage Marantz gear. I'm jealous;) . Nice find, lemme know if you ever want to rid yourself of it.:)

If I remember correctly, the only thing that ever had to be done to ours was a new power switch after a few million on/of cycles:D

And Russ, if you run across one of these in decent shape, nab it for me,okay?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Nice find, lemme know if you ever want to rid yourself of it.

Will do, this was strictly a whim purchase, as I sure don't need any more gear. I have a HK Citation 23 tuner-21 pre- 24 amp that is just gathering dust since I don't have room, but in the late 80's I would have given my left n*t for the stack. So there you go.........

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Dennis:
    I remember that HK Citation stack very well. I wanted it as well. Instead I settled for what i could afford, the HK 870, 825, and 915 tuner. All for $600. Lasted me 17 years until I sold it two months ago.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3