For Sale: Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited August 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
SOLD!

Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp...at an excellent price.

Wes Phillips: "Belongs in the top rank of all the preamplifiers I have auditioned."

Stereophile recommended "Class A" for the line stage, "Class B" for the phono stage.

IMPORTANT: This preamp has 1 minor problem. The "Tuner" input rca jack (Right channel) needs to resoldered to the circuit board. This has no effect on any other inputs or on the preamp when the tuner input is not used. All other inputs are fine; CD, SACD, Aux, Phono, Tape/Monitor. How do I know it's a broken solder joint? Fair question; when I put a little downward pressure on the right rca plug, the channel comes in clear.

There is a Musical Fidelity authorized repair station in North Carolina, but I don't have the time nor patience to go this route. It's probably a 10 minute fix, if you're so inclined. I just simply run my tuner to "Aux." Again, the preamp works perfectly aside from this input.

The unit is otherwise in excellent condition, I can't find any cosmetic flaws, not a scratch, nick, rub or otherwise. Comes with remote, manual, and original purchase receipt ($1535.00).

$400, buyer pays exact shipping and I highly recommend you insure the shipment. I do not have the orignal box, but it will be packed to thwart nuclear disaster.

You WILL NOT find another A3CR anywhere near this price in this condition.

CONUS only, MONEY ORDER ONLY. No exceptions.

Why am I selling this gem? I like it so much I want a brand new in the box A3CR and don't want to hassle with the above tuner input problem---my laziness is your gain!
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    A3CR guts (not mine), built like a tank, weighs about 30lbs:
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2005
    damn damn damn

Broke ****
    Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    edited July 2005
    Do you know where in NC the repair center is located? Any pics of the outside of the A3CR? Thanks.....

Steve
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    Kevin @ Upscale audio sent me the info before, but I lost it. You can Email Kevin kevin@upscaleaudio.com

I'll get a pic up tonight, the unit is flawless (cosmetically).

I've done alot of research on it, if you're handy, order a torx wrench with the "tamper proof" style head (has an indentation on the tip), and maybe make the solder connection yourself.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    You didn't read the last line in the add didja...LOL

I'm buying another one....
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2005
    Unbelievable price!
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    damn damn damn

Broke ****
    Russ

Or are you full circle Russ?

This is a great preamp, I love mine (Thanks Russ) ;)
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • hoosier21
    edited July 2005
    I only turn left, so yes I am always going in circles.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    SOLD! Enjoy brother.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2005
    This is killing me, I ain't broke but don't know what the bill will be yet on those Knight tube monos Russ is working on... Aack!

Edit: Thank you for selling so quickly...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    SOLD! Enjoy brother.

Good! Now I can stop fretting over this :rolleyes:
    Great price. It's probably worth $700 easy. Somebody got a killer deal ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    This is killing me, I ain't broke but don't know what the bill will be yet on those Knight tube monos Russ is working on... Aack!

Edit: Thank you for selling so quickly...

Those Knights are just about ready to go, just finishing tweaking them out.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    I hate selling something that has a "problem" thats why I knocked about $250 off, I would have normally asked $650 for it. I figured $250 would easily cover the cost of the repair+shipping for the new owner.

Russ--Contact Upscale Audio for details on the shop in N.C. that is an authorized MF repair facility. If you want to use the tuner input, this guy can fix it. You're close, it would be well worth it. OR, buy a #5 Torx (tamper proof) wrench and attempt the repair yourself for about 5 bucks.
  • hoosier21
    edited July 2005
    Will do, Thanks Steve. a CD and phono input is all I will be needing.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2005
    Go Russ! Go Russ! Go Russ! Go Russ!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2005
    Will do, Thanks Steve. a CD and phono input is all I will be needing.

What the hell happened to broke **** Russ? :p
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    I'm still here. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm still here. ;)

LOL! :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2005
    Send it to,
    Signal Path International
    215 Lawton Rd.
    Charlotte, NC 28216

Call Rick first at 704-391-0673 to arrange things.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    Here she is, gorgeous huh?:
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2005
    I've heard people say they thought they are to gaudy looking but I think it's an awesome look. I had the A3 integrated before Russ made me buy the Dodd.;)
  • hoosier21
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by dragon1952
    What the hell happened to broke **** Russ? :p

He is now even more broke.

Gotta sell some stuff. Anyone need some VMPS subwoofers?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2005
    My A3.2 integrated shows up today :D Personally, I like the all silver look instead of the silver and gold. And I especially like the blue lights...you know I love blue lights.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Send it to,
    Signal Path International
    215 Lawton Rd.
    Charlotte, NC 28216

Call Rick first at 704-391-0673 to arrange things.

That's it! Thanks for the assist bud.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    Going out this morning, Fedex. Packed so that UPS monkeys with ice picks and sledge hammers couldn't harm it.

Enjoy!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2005
    Going out this morning, Fedex. Packed so that UPS monkeys with ice picks and sledge hammers couldn't harm it.

Enjoy!

Can't be done. :D

Someones getting an excellent preamp!!!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hoosier21
    edited July 2005

Enjoy!

So the UPS monkeys sneak into the FedEx trucks?;)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• dragon1952
    edited July 2005

Stinkin' little ****! :mad: As if they don't cause enough trouble already.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2005
    Your estimated delivery date is 30 July, Saturday. Enjoy!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    hoosier21 wrote:
    ROFL!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hoosier21
    edited August 2005
    Arrived alive and well, good packing job by Steve, thanks for that. Oh and the preamp is in great shape and sounds very good. :o
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq