Who needs 5.1

Options
2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2005
    Options
    And, again, if 5.1 blows your skirt up, coolness.

I just don't think that I'm missing a whole lot without it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Eh, you're full of ****, and we all know it. ;)

I think you're still mush-brained from putting the CJ on the front end - you probably don't even know if the rears are on or off.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Do directors actually master the 5.1 audio? I thought it was done by an engineer.

Did Scorsese lug around the steadicam for Goodfellas? It doesn't matter who actually did it. Sit down to a well mastered DVD in 5.1 and it'll knock you on your ****. Watch it in 2.0, not bad, but not the same.

And that hafler is basically a prologic precursor- it's just sending stuff to the rears based on the relative phasings &frequencies. If the movie wasn't mastered in SQ or QS, then what goes to the rears is just by random accident. I like my rear channel to get their signals by design.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    A **** movie with a great soundtrack is still a **** movie.

A GREAT movie is a great movie regardless.
    I couldn't agree more with those two statements.

I don't think having 5.1 changes the movie, one way or the other. But it does change the way you EXPERIENCE the movie.

I've never tried the passive quadra-thing though...so would have no idea how that compares to a 5.1 receiver...
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Skynut
    I personally love my HT.
    I like the sound to be overpowering while I watch movies, just like at the theater.
    My system plays music fine enough for me, usually I just have music on in the background or I am blasting it so loud I can hear it while I am working in the yard or swimming at the neighbors house.
    Someday when I have the room and money I would like to build a nice 2 channel rig but until then I would rather focus on home theater.

But thats just me.

Ditto.

If you have an HT set up, you should be able to listen to music in 2-channel stereo mode aswell, right? I like my music with a sub and two speakers best, but for home theater I like the surround effect best, with all speakers doing their part.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • TroyD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Again, I think that HT is nifty.

My comment about who encodes the DD tracks was more to emphasize that movies aren't neccessarily made with the surround content in mind.

Of course I'm full of ****, that' part of the charm....

BDT
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I could be wrong about this. After all a 2.0 system is not even close to DTS 5.1 or the like. The surround channels are mono and you cant adjust their volume.

Maybe because of this I found it easier to be in the sweet spot with only 2 channels and the overall detail and sound quality was better.

Unfortunately I dont have any friends :( so I cant go and hear somebody elses setup. The best I can do is the Bose Lifestyle demo setup at Best Buy! :D

Plus, Im a broke sumbitch and its either a 2 channel system with RTi8's or a 5.1 system with Monitors.

And by the way, I use mine 65% for movies and games. Once I got a receiver it would increase as I could watch NASCAR in 5.1!!! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    And by the way, I use mine 65% for movies and games. Once I got a receiver it would increase as I could watch NASCAR in 5.1!!! :D

Boogedy boogedy boogedy
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Boogedy boogedy boogedy
    awww....god I can NOT deal with that. I

'll watch the racing from time to time, but I always have to mute it on the start because of that...at least on FOX anyway...

argh...it's like nails on a chalkboard...
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Options
    "Its time to....CRANK IT UP!!" :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Currently having a 2 channel setup, first time since I joined the fray of audio...

I can't say that I am missing to much... I mean sure... there isnt bullets flying behind my head, but thats ok. What I do get is a very large sound, with the height, width, and depth to make a "surrounding" enviorment.

I don't miss HT at all. But I am definetely saving my center and surrounds for a future setup, whenever it comes.

I am just like 90% music, 10% movies.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I don't have the $ or room for a 2ch and 5.1 set up so I had to sacrifice 5.1 I love multichannel for movies but music is A LOT more important for me.

I've watched a few movies in 2ch but I enjoyed them a lot more when I had a 5.1 set up. It still sounds nice in stereo but the main thing missing is the extended dynamic range provided by DD and DTS decoding.

Maurice
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Dammit!

You guys are going to talk me out of 2 channel! I really was looking forward to those RTi8's! :D

{sigh} I wish I didnt care about this stuff. Why cant I be happy with a $200 HTiaB set from WalMart?

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

• TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • TroyD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Dammit!

You guys are going to talk me out of 2 channel! I really was looking forward to those RTi8's! :D

{sigh} I wish I didnt care about this stuff. Why cant I be happy with a $200 HTiaB set from WalMart?

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Man, don't let anyone talk you out of what you want. Jeeze, get what YOU want. I doesn't matter a hill of beans what I like or what anyone else likes when it comes to YOUR gear. Get what YOU want and be done with it.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Ed Zachry.

I'm just hackin' on Troy with the Dyna. It's actually a pretty neat option, especially if you are looking for simple, and cheap. No muss, no fuss, ambient sound, DONE.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hey, if you can't hack on your best friends, who the eff can you hack on, ya know??

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Dan?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I dont think i could do without both. luckily i have the room for both a theater set up and 2 channel. obviously 2 channel for the music CD's and LP's, theater for DVD movies and live concert CD's for fun.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Good point. Dan is always a sure bet.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I am definitely on the side of 5.1 (or more) for movies; you really miss a lot if you don't have this.....BUT...I've also seen myself being more "picky" and tend to go for the movies that actually have better sound effects just to enjoy my system....and no need to say that these are not necessarily the best movies. I must recognize that I've many times chosen a not so good movie with great sound, over a very good movie with not so great sound...

Shame on me!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • TroyD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Good point. Dan is always a sure bet.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

George is on the numbers, as always.

IMO, it's all about quality, not quantity. Applies to # of channels in your rig as well.

BDT
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Boogedy boogedy boogedy

Porky's ??
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2005
    Options
    quote:
    Boogedy boogedy boogedy
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Porky's ??

It's a Nascar thang.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hmmm... I would've sworn it was a "Family Guy" reference but since they are both on Fox, well... ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    quote:

Boogedy boogedy boogedy
    It's a Nascar thang.
    and really ****...

I actually feel embarassed for him when I hear that...