dual disc, is it doomed already?

Options
2»

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2005
    Options
    This weekend was spend agonizing whether I should go multi-channel by getting a AVR :rolleyes:

As for DualDisc, I wish the major music companies would've promoted either SACD/DVD-A the way it is doing w/ DualDisc.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Danny Tse
    This weekend was spend agonizing whether I should go multi-channel by getting a AVR :rolleyes:

As for DualDisc, I wish the major music companies would've promoted either SACD/DVD-A the way it is doing w/ DualDisc.

Actually Danny the music companies have done a sorry job in promoting DualDisc in my opinion. I haven't seen one TV spot for the format, one magazine ad for the format, nothing.

And not only that- but DualDisc is blended in with all the other CDS in stores supposedly. That's what people on here have said-and since I haven't seen a DualDisc yet I tend to agree. It's like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles. At least SACD and DVD-A (in small numbers) had their own display shelf, away from the 2.0 stuff.

The music companies can't agree on one standard and that's what's crippling SACD, DVD-A and DTS 5.1 discs; and why DualDisc isn't getting notorized. As long as regular CD'S continue to sell reasonably well- you can figure the rest out.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by aaharvel

The music companies can't agree on one standard and that's what's crippling SACD, DVD-A and DTS 5.1 discs; and why DualDisc isn't getting notorized. As long as regular CD'S continue to sell reasonably well- you can figure the rest out.

Actually, all SACD's are the same standard. It's the DVD-A and DualDisc's that are not. DTS isn't considered a hi-rez format.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aaharvel
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Actually, all SACD's are the same standard. It's the DVD-A and DualDisc's that are not. DTS isn't considered a hi-rez format.

yeah you're right F1- but that's not what I meant. I'm sorry I should have worded it more clearly. I meant that the music industry has failed to adopt one format as the standard. Nothing competed with Sony/Phillips and the CD directly, and technically still doesn't. But now we've got Toshiba wanting to make a buck with DVD-A, and DualDisc alongside Sony/Phillips with SACD, and on top of that we have DTS 5.1 music discs thrown into the mix and to the untrained eye (aka the average buyer) all these discs look the same: (I still can't get over whose lame idea it was to bury DualDiscs in with CD's) and if they all look the same then to them it's prob. not worth the effort to trade their security blanket in for something whose future is unknown at best. The sad thing is, I can understand this p.o.v AND I'M AN SACD LOYALIST! LOL!

IMO this and the utter lack of advertising is why the new formats are struggling/DYING. As far as i'm concerned, they should go ahead and kill off DVD-A and DualDisc. Immediately. Not next year, not next month- Now. Before the marketing geniuses make even bigger fools out of themselves than they already have.
    If people HAVE to have video to go with their music (and there's not that many of them out there to warrant this)- then buy a concert DVD-V. It'll prob. be a 5.1 16bit 44khz just like the Dualdisc/Dvd-A version- which brings me to another notable point: If DualDisc and more importantly "high res" DVD-A resolutions on a particular disc can't even match the DTS version of that disc in terms of resolution (this is the case with ALOT of discs) then they both deserve to die for that just on principle.

I think and still think SACD Hybrid is the way to go. TI can't think of a single reason why this format should not succeed. SACD players are dirt cheap these days, with only a $30 premium compared to "CD" only sony players. The discs constitute a whopping (sarcasm) $1 to $2 premium over regular CD's on average. The OVERWHELMING majority of the discs can are 100% backward compatable with ALL players- I mean fellas this is just ridicilous. Whomever is in charge of creating SACD at Sony should be given a Nobel Prize. Whomever is in charge of advertising for SACD at Sony should be strung up. I mean what in the hell is the point for a billion-dollar conglomerate like Sony in a joint venture with Phillips investing MILLIONS of dollars in a new 2ch. high-res format; then spending MILLIONS more turning it into a 5.1 highres format; then spending yet MILLIONS more (!) making it backwards compatable with every single CD player that has ever been made- and then....

Nothing. No advertising. No Press Conferences. Nothing. The only advertising you get about the format is the little piece of info on SACD inside the jewel case. Of course you only get to see this nifty little bit of info AFTER you've bought an SACD in the first place. Preaching to the converted: and to no one else. F--king retarded.

H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Got ya and I feel about the same way.

I did hear that Sony was going to make a big push with SACD later in the year. We'll see.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Danny Tse
    edited July 2005
    Options
    At $60.00 and no shipping charges, the Toshiba 4960 universal player is a good way to enter the hi-rez world....

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=7DF21C613B9948879EAAE53E8854D44A&ProductID=11750

And here's a 12 page thread to mod the heck out of it....

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613

I am really tempted now to pick it up just for DVD-A....I heard the Britney Spears DVD-A is way cool :D . Plus, I will finally get to play my Elvis DVD-A in all of its high-rez glory.
  • aaharvel
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Danny Tse
    At $60.00 and no shipping charges, the Toshiba 4960 universal player is a good way to enter the hi-rez world....

see? dirt cheap prices- and even if SACD fails (dvd-a already has imo) then for $60 you still get a kickass 3:2 progressive dvd AND cd/mp3 player to boot. Go for it Danny. :)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• Danny Tse
    edited July 2005
    Options
    As much as I like to, my home is already littered with extra DVD players....Pioneer DV-414 (made in Japan!!) and a still sealed-in-box Panasonic S25 I picked up at Best Buy for $38.00.

On top of that, there seems to be a lot of issues with the 4960....see below thread, especially the latest posts

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189053
  • Danny Tse
    edited July 2005
    Options
  • djreef
    djreef Posts: 71
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Just picked up the new Judas Priest on dualdisc. DVD side won't play in my Denon 2900, and the CD side sounds like total crap. I may pick up the redbook to see if it's just the recording. Somehow, I don't think it is. Dualdisc is dead to me.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>