Boycott??

joe6pak
joe6pak Posts: 267
edited June 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
There has not been a post to this forum since 6/9 at 10:50 pm. Is there an organized boycott against 2 channel audio discussion?

joe
Post edited by joe6pak on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    It doesn't seem enough people are interested.We need to start writting more interesting post's.
    Russman is putting his best forward, we should do the same to get it going,what do you think??
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2002
    I think that because it's been around longer & is less complicated, people have fewer things to post about it. There's a lot more things to think about when buying, upgrading, tweaking a surround system. And it's got a grip on the market. But that doesn't mean it's superior for music listening!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    I dunno.....2ch guys can be some serious tweakers.....

I think you are correct though, 2ch is pretty much a niche market these days. Especially in the medium price range. HT is all the rage.

That being so, what can't a brotha find a cheap deal on a 2ch preamp??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    I'd also argue that for serious music enjoyment, 2ch is the ONLY way to go seeing as 99.9% of the music out there is recorded in good old 2.0

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2002
    Multichannel sucks compared to good two channel. Even if all the equipment is top notch it cannot compare. I was all into DVD audio until I heard it on a decent system. The sounds are recorded improperly for the most part and when it is right the sounds from the center and rear just fudge up the rest of the sound. Theater is cool, just not for music.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2002
    I am definately more into 2ch than multi. I guess I should put on my thinking beer.

Russ has been generating some good discussions. Personally, I'm not suprised, just very pleased. TroyD ain't so bad either.

For multi-channel music I think it rests fully on the engineers that remaster it. Either way it should be 4.1 with the surrounds used sparingly unless it's some trippy stuff that the artist could've benefitted from originally. Remember quadrophonic recordings? I don't want to hear drums from left rear, bass from right front, etc. I say this without owning a DVDA/SACD player, so I could be off base.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2002
    I recently read an interview with David Chesky, who has his own label, & is very big on music surround but not in the 5.1 format. He's into trying out different kinds of surround for music, & has come up with a 6-channel format that (if my memory serves me correctly) involves 2 front mains, 2 additional front spkrs off to the side, & 2 rear. He's also put out at least one disc in a 4-ch (no center) mix. Anyway, my interpretation of what he said was that 5.1 music mixing is an "after the fact" idea, trying to fit music into a movie soundtrack format, & it is not the music surround format someone starting from scratch would come up with. Surround music mixing is still in its infancy, & I am not one to go around making proclamations about one thing or another being "the answer" or being "dead". To me, the main problem is the money & space involved in trying to integrate 2 different surround setups. Even if a music surround format comes along that we all love, getting it to coexist w/a different type of movie surround setup could be a logistical & financial nightmare for anyone but the most dedicated a/v enthusiasts, who will always find a way to set up a system (or two) designed to give them the best sound for both music & movies.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing