Sony & Universal Hybrid SACD news?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2002 in Music & Movies
Over at www.stereophile.com, there's an article about the possibility that Sony & Universal will stop making "normal" CDs & put all new releases on hybrid SACD's.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2002
    Options
    who cares...i dont buy normal cd's...i prefer blank ones...haha
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    who cares...i dont buy normal cd's...i prefer blank ones...haha

I really don't find that funny. If you like the album then buy it.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai

I really don't find that funny. If you like the album then buy it.

Agreed, if you like the artist.. support them. Besides, the quality of mp3 is crap anyway.

As far as the SACD thing goes, I hope not - but it wouldn't suprise me. I guess I'll just have to get even more picky about what I buy.

Hopefully the other labels won't follow.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    But being a Hybrid SACD, you can play them on your normal CD player at regular bitrate, and then on a SACD for extended bitrate. I do see an advantage in that case.

But, at the same time, I bet ripping these hybrid discs might be a challenge, thus the reason Sony likes it.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I know that they will be hybrid, but we will still have to pay the cost of an SACD. All this while I was just starting to get into HDCD. Does anyone know the difference? HDCD is 20 bit, SACD is...???

As far as ripping the hybrid disks, it can and will be done it's just a matter of time. There are way to many people out there with way to much time on their hands. Someone will figure out how to do it, and write a program to make the process easy and free.

Gotta love technology these days. ;)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    HDCD is 20bit, SACD is "Direct Stream Digital" which is equivalent to 24bit/192kHz
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    edited June 2002
    Options
    HDCD is 20bit, SACD is "Direct Stream Digital" which is equivalent to 24bit/192kHz

Doh. *kicks his HDCD gear*
  • Steve@3dai
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Plus it's multi-channel :) (SACD that is)

HDCD is good because it's a lot cheaper than SACD, and sounds better than regular CDs. Kinda wish my DVD player was HDCD compatible, I've got a killer Depeche Mode tribute album that's HDCD.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Plus it's multi-channel :) (SACD that is)

HDCD is good because it's a lot cheaper than SACD, and sounds better than regular CDs. Kinda wish my DVD player was HDCD compatible, I've got a killer Depeche Mode tribute album that's HDCD.

Indeed. The only reason I got the HDCD gear was to listen to Tool's "lateralus" in HD. :D

Just that makes it worth it.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Not sure, but I think that you will still be able to legally digitally copy the non-SACD portion of the hybrid disc. Until they start putting out rcvrs/preamps w/SACD decoding, the decoding is done by the player, & SACD output, whether 2 ch or 5.1, is via analog cables. The digital output on a SACD player is only for the non-SACD portion of the hybrid disc, and can still be routed to CD recorder, MD, etc. However, I don't know if they are also going to try to copy-protect the non-SACD portion. The article in question seems to indicate that they are not going to do so, but who knows? the article is at www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1353
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing