DLP... is it the way to go?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited July 2005 in Electronics
Ok, I'm back looking at HDTV's again. With price drops lately, DLP is looking real good---is that a good choice? I just want something between 46" and 50" nothing any bigger.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2005
    Sharp announced today a two angle view LCD. Sit to the left, watch a movie, sit to the right, watch TV. Stuff is coming out every day and it has to settle down sometime. Tough decision to buy one now. Who knows what will come out tomorrow and at what price.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2005
    Mitsubishi's new DLP's (52 and 62" models) will all be 1080p. Should be interesting to see. Also interested in seeing the new JVC HD-ILA sets.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2005
    Steve,

I recently had the pleasure of being the first salesman in the U.S. to see Mitsubishi's new full line up. The new 1080p sets add around $1000 to the current prices. The new slim down versions are a nice touch and I thought the picture quality was a nice improvement over last years sets, although not as stunning as Sony's new 70" Qualia at twice the price. The new TI-1080p chips use the same mirror configuration as their 720p HD3 chips giving the picture a funky moving crystal look. the most noticeable improvement was the contrast ratio that produced far superior black levels over the previous models.

The only set sporting some big wood was the 73" diamond plus set that used a 50% brighter bulb system. Now, these were pre-production sets that were most definitely not finished and the signal to them was only a distributed analog (component video) HD signal as DLP's seem to respond much nicer to a digital (DVI/HDMI) HD signal. I just bought my 62" Mits diamond 5 months ago and it will soon be up for sale to make room for the 73" coming in September.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    Also interested in seeing the new JVC HD-ILA sets.

In an earlier post I said I was probably going to get a new big screen within 1.5 years, but this may change. I actually may be grabbing a JVC set within the next few months, either in the 52" or 56" size (1280 x 720 resolution), but am thinking of waiting until JVC's 56" 1920 x 1080p resolution set arrives (scheduled for September), if for nothing else than for a quick "visual comparison"; however, the 1920 x 1080p model will likely be too pricey for my budget, and I'm wondering whether this resolution will really make that big of a difference for watching current non-HD DVD's. Therefore, I might be going for one of the currently available 52" or 56" 1280 x 720 resolution sets. Not sure I can wait until the 1920 x 1080p sets come down in price to my budget, unless what I see in September really knocks my socks off.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited July 2005
    Although I haven't yet seen the new 1080p sets, I really think they are all hype. Nothing is even broadcast in 1080p. I've heard from manufacturer reps that 1080p sets pretty much make HD look better, and everything else look like crap, especially SD programming.
    I'll finalize my opinion once I see them, but I think that we will be paying $1000 more for better HD, but a lesser picture for DVD and SD. I'm not sure that's worth it. I think the 1080p TV's will turn out to be a bit of a let down, although I could be wrong.
    In answer to the original question, I really like DLP TV's, and have no problem recommending them. I think they look great, and would absolutely go with DLP over LCD RP.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2005
    Cool. Thanks all for the advice...:)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2005
    I say watch a bunch of different types of TVs for a while and see what you like. I'm pretty much sold on a LCD RPTV. DLP has better contrast, but the Sony seems to have a much more crisp picture. But those are my eye's opinion and might be completely different from someone else!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2005
    Things are going towards 1080p. The new PS3's native resolution will be 1080p. I suspect that hd-dvd and HDTV stuff will all push on to 1080p.

I got an RP LCD. Not a fan of the DLP picture, and the moving parts/mirrors are more problematic.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    Mitsubishi's new DLP's (52 and 62" models) will all be 1080p.

and that is the format i'm waiting for.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush