WTB: Old Victrola in working condition

2»

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2005
    Very informative auction ad. I had no idea regarding this!

"You need to replace the needle after EVERY PLAY, otherwise you will ruin the next record you play! That's why needles are usually provided in packets of 100. I highly recommend using BRY-O-PHONIC or PFANSTEIL nickel plated phonograph needles. You must only play records produced before 1926. These are easily identified because they do not have a lead-in groove. The majority of the popular records you will find have a red or black VICTOR (or VICTROLA) label on them, amongst others. If you try to play Bing Crosby, the Mills Brothers, or anything from the 30's or 40's, you will RUIN THEM. Those electrically recorded records are made of a soft material, and will ruin after ONE PLAY (you will also notice the surface of the record getting a dull color from the damage). "
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by madmax
    Thanks! The era I'm interested in is 1912 to 1926. Man, if only you get a chance to hear some of the early 20's music on one of these. I also like big band music but I'll stick to my lowly standard turntable for that. The 20's was a simpler time and although I'm not too knowledgeable about the material I have heard some of it and seriously, it will take you to another place and time. It is not true to life sound whatsoever. It is a true to life 20's sound though. Good heads up though!
    Thanks,
    madmax

madmax

Good luck with your search madmax! I have a 1908 Edison Standard cylinder player with the 29" morning glory horn. There is nothing like listening to some of those old songs played through one of these machines. No SDA sweet spot for sure! :D I also enjoy modern recordings of these 1920's arrangements and they really do sound good on good equipment. Highly recommend the Pasadena Roof Orchestra as one of the best sounding current players of music of this era. :)

Robbie

http://www.pasadena.co.uk/
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2005
    Until I can post my own pics, this one is the same as mine only mine is in a little better shape.

Edison 250
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2005
    BTW you do need to do research before buying the player or the records.
    Mine will only play Edison records with the Edison stylis and reproducer. I have a Victrola reproducer with the steel needles that I can put on if I ever get any other records. (Which I do not have.)
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2005
    Hey MadMax, here's some 78 records if you want to claim dibs on them. 500 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=6404905440&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2005
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Max, I feel for you. And damn, it went for alot less than expected.
    Someone got a steal. You'll get the next one.;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited June 2005
    Chuck, I sent you a PM
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2005
    madmax,

I was in this antique store over the weekend and there is a Victrola exactly like the one in the ebay auction. I couldn't find a price but they had another Victrola (different style) sitting right next to it for around $600. The one in Tiger Oak looked to be in good shape. but I don't know anything about them and I didn't ask about it. Give them a call and see what they say...

Morse Road Antique Center
    1395 Morse Rd
    Columbus, OH 43229-6435
    614-263-2222
    614-263-2225 Fax

you can see a shot of it in one of their photos in the photo gallery (I've attached it)

http://morseroadantiquecenter.homestead.com/index.html
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Thanks for the help guys!

Yea, less than expected... The problem was that once you add the shipping or driving cost it would have been totally out of range. Oh well, maybe next time.

madmax

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited July 2005
    Madmax I sent you a pm.
    JT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    edited July 2005
    Chuck, there's a guy selling Victrola's at the Antique Centers of Savage Mill, near Laurel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited July 2005
    Thanks guys!
    I found one last week with Warlocks help. Not as nice as the one I was going for on ebay but still very nice. It is a mahogany of the same version. Decent condition and works great. I'm still not over the look of the Tiger Oak one though...

madmax

• madmax
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Polkersince85
    Hey MadMax, here's some 78 records if you want to claim dibs on them. 500 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=6404905440&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thanks for the heads up. You know, 500 records is enough to completely fill up my front porch! They are now safely tucked away in my closet. ;)

madmax