DVD-A suggestions

Options
tmorgan
tmorgan Posts: 37
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I am looking for DVD-A suggestions. Have you heard any really well recorded DVD-A's?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited August 2001
    Options
    read the august stereofile before you get to gunho on dvd-a

scott:cool:
  • tmorgan
    tmorgan Posts: 37
    edited August 2001
    Options
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    IMO, the industry can take DVD-A and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. And, if any of them need a hand with that, I volunteer my services.
    Thank you, that's all from me on that.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Just curious.

Aaron
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I really don't even want to get into a discussion on this issue and I shouldn't...but this is why...

IMO, I don't feel there is any need, in the world of "audio" sound reproduction, for more than two channels. This "surround audio sound" to me, is total B.S.
    It's probably just the cats meow for a lot of the newer generation of "listeners" (and, I'm using that term loosely here) that have been brought up on nothing but surround sound entertainment systems. Most of these relatively new comers don't have a clue as to how fine, accurate, and involving, two channel can be.
    I also feel it's nothing but a big bag of B.S. being thought up by and pushed by an industry that's desparately scrounging for new sales. The accuracy of the sound stage will be nothing near a correct one. It will be a bunch recording engineers fiddling around with the sound just to make it "cool", not correct or real.
    Quality sound? What difference does that make? It sounds so cool!
    Accurate? Don't you always find yourself sitting smack-dab in the middle of the band or orchestra that's performing for you? Remember now, be careful, don't lean too far back in your chair while "listening"... you'll bump into the drummer's equipment or something, maybe knock something over.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Bob, I couldn't agree with you more! I figured this was your line of reasoning. I really can't imagine what surround sound music will bring to us, but I really haven't listened to any to know. I guess I better go get a demo. I mean, at a live performance, the sound comes from in front of you (not behind you), except reflections, and those should be able to be reasonably created with 2 speakers. Maybe multi-channel music could help re-created the ambiance of a particular venue, but I REALLY have my doubts as to how well this will be implemented.

BUT, don't forget that DVD-A can be stereo. And 24/96 stereo at that! There's no denying that DVD-A and SACD kick major butt in that respect. I think it's interesting that SACD originally came out in stereo, and only recently have moved into multi-channel. I wonder if their orignal design goal was multi-channel, or if the market pushed them in that direction. Anyway, those are my preliminary thoughts.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I replaced most of my vinyl with cd's. At almost 50, anybody think I'm gonna start replacing cd's with dvd audio discs? This is just another attempt to separate the listener from their dollars. Nothing more.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    I replaced most of my vinyl with cd's. At almost 50, anybody think I'm gonna start replacing cd's with dvd audio discs? This is just another attempt to separate the listener from their dollars. Nothing more.
    And why did you replace your vinyl with CD's? Probably because they sound better (to most people) and are far more conveniant. I can't speak for DVD-A, but SACD sounds incredible. There is no doubt that this is far better medium to reproduce sound. CD's have been around for almost 20 years now. It's about time they came out with something better.

Aaron
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I hear you on the 24/96 point. My CAL Apha DAC is 24/96. Although it makes an improvement on all CDs, I'd like to see more, quality, higher bit-rate disks.

Was SACD developed as two channel for two channel, and pushed toward (useless) multi channel by an industry trend? Or was this the stinking plan all along? Good question, but still a stinking plan to me none the same.

I find it very hard to believe, recording engineers can leave well enough alone. They haven't been using the surround channels just for "ambiance" so far (from what I've read) and I'm not sure if that will ever change with time.
    A long time ago, I quit going to concerts that are held inside enclosed civic centers, and sports arenas just because of all the annoying reflections.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Here are some good recored DVD-Audio discs:
    Deep Purple: Machine Head excellent(sorry Micah, no made in Japan version)
    Foreigner: Foreigner excellent
    Steely Dan: Two against nature very good
    Steve Steven: Flamenco a Go-Go very good
    Fleetwood Mac: Rumours excellent
    Yutaka Sado, conductor excellent
    Orchestre Lamoureux
    Hommage
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Yes, in 1986 I started replacing all my vinyl with cd's. I could HEAR the difference back then. Now, the difference between vinyl and disc is down to surface noise. Extended range? What the hell good is that going to do me, while I possess a beautiful, natural roll-off at about 10kHz now. I also have a fairly good hole at about 3-4kHz. It's the jets and the aging process. More jets than age.
    It would also cost a sizeable chunk of cash, just to replace the cd's I own that start with the letter "Z". At $20 a pop, you're talking $1,000 just to represent Zappa properly in ones collection. Then there's the whole rest of the alphabet after that.
    When I put together the he-man rig in my listening room, it was the finest system I'd ever heard. Not saying it was the best, just the best that I had ever been exposed to. While over the years the equipment maintained its level of performance, my ears haven't (this is going to happen to you also, maybe tomorrow, better start planning now). The system still raises goosebumps when I need it to. Another format is not in my future.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Feel free, enjoy your DVD-As. However, the industry has a country mile to go to sell me on it. (I can't see it happening any year soon.)

Nice standards set for DVD-A too. What are they again? What's that? Quality vs. quantity? Which is being given the top priority? How much compression is being allowed? If you tell me you have concrete answers, you better go to work for the industry, they need you.

BTW: Not all CDs are 16 bit anymore. Some are 20 bit.

IMO: Stricktly two channel SACDs with quality alone as the absolutley top priority would be a logical next step up from currnt CDs.

I have to agree with George on the greatly increased range vs. aging ears though...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Lets forget about this for a while and talk about something really important.
  • PETERNG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    DVD-Audio with the use of a "lossless" audio compression scheme known as Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP), MLP can squeeze enough data onto a DVD-Audio disc that you can fit a 24/96 5.1 mix, a 24/96 stereo mix, and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix (the standard for DVD-Video) all on the same 74-minute disc.

Check out these website for more details:
    http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_mlp.htm
    http://www.ambisonic.net/mlp.html
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    ...be my guest, knock yourself out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2001
    Options
    No matter how great the format is, it will always be overshadowed by say ohhhh Micah's ego for example.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Let me start by saying that I don't own a DVD-A. Someday I will, but I'll wait for the prices to drop. Hopefully, by then the recorders will have dropped in price and legal tie-ups. Maybe it'll be a DVD-AR.

I haven't seen many DVD-As in stores, but one that caught my eye was Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery. Imagine that.

I can understand the stereo purists point. I can see some really horrible remixes, but so long as you can select the stereo mode, what's the big deal?

I can't see the need for Simon and Garfunkel in anything but stereo, but all music is not the same.

Pink Floyd-Animals, Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells, Funkadelic-Maggot Brain, Alan Parsons Project-Tales of Mystery and Imagination are jus some of the Discs that could benefit from this. Not to mention the possibilities of a Jazz quartet recorded in a small club. I bet it would sound a lot better than a stereo recording used in the club mode of most processors (not saying that I would do that).

George! Do you really own 20 Zappas. If so, WAY COOL! If not, I still get your point.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    but all music is not the same.

I'm second to that...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I agree. Remember, with all the money in the world, there is no need for option.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ...Confucius have spoken.

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Well, what can I say except: " old horses always want to **** in the same place..."