New guy, needs some ed-u-mo-kation

Options
Cwaters
Cwaters Posts: 16
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Ok, so I toyed with the idea of building myself a tube amp a while ago. I feel like I have the chops to do the assembly but it's certainly not something a know a lot about. I remember looking online at kits and being amaized at how much they cost, how little I know about these beasts, and how little power most of them have, especially when considering the price.

Flash forward to the hear and now, a year or two later.

Got some new Polks, found the forums again, been reading this one some and got interested in the idea again.
Same deal, WOWs at the $ and low power ratings and how many different brands/models/guys in their garage are out there. It's kinda like trying to get into Jazz music or something, there's just SO much of it and I don't know anything about what's good or bad...

So, either I need to wait until I can play in the big leagues (probably never) or there are ways to get into tubes for a LOT less money (I really don't have any budget for this, it's just something I'm interested in)

I'm not asking for a "state of the world" address from anybody. A few good sites to check out or a few good here's how I did it stories woud be cool.

Thanks, and have a great day...

Cory
living an ok life with his Sony str-db930 receiver and new LSi9s
Post edited by Cwaters on

Comments

• Cwaters
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Wow...
    lotsa looks but no advice. :(

CW
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    Options
    That truly is a shame. I tried asking a pretty involved question regarding tubes and how to get into them and so-such a pretty good while back, also, and I got the same results. I'm not exactly sure why, as there a whole lot of really knowledgeable people on this board, and ordinarily, they're more than ready to share that with ya and show you the ropes.

If I had the know-how, I'd be tellin' ya something, but I'm as clueless (more-so, I'll bet) than you.

:(

-audiobliss
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i know of only a scant few people on the forum here that use tube amps. some use tube pres and SS amps (i.e. me). unfortunatly, i am no tube expert. might want to give the guys at Audiokarma.org a try, a slew of tube junkies over there, along with frugal minded audio enthusiasts. might get the info your looking for if you dont get it here. give it more time, someone might chime in who actually knows what theyre talking about (unlike me :D )
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Just google it.

There are hundreds of websites that provide info on DIY tube amps, history, background, technical stuff, etc. Lots of books out there, too.

If you're just starting out, consider buying a used one on ebay or audiogon. Get your feet wet by modding it, then dive into deeper waters.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I am more or less in the same boat as you, so I know next to nothing also. But I will tell you which direction I am heading.

Tube amps are expensive, especially if you are looking for something to power those LSi 9's. For a start you should probably look at getting a tube pre-amp and a ss amp. The seperate ss amp will power those 9's much better than that sony, so that will be an instant upgrade right there. If your sony has pre-amp outs, then buy an ss amp (adcom, rotel, parasound, etc) and use your sony as the pre-amp until you get enough money to get a tube pre-amp.

I already have an adcom amp and a nad pre-amp. Right now I am saving my cash to get a doc bottle head foreplay pre-amp. It is a kit. I enjoy building stuff and the bottleheads have a nice following. If you don't want to build then go with the entry level Dodd.

Hope that helps a little.

Todd
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Solid state baby!
  • Cwaters
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks Spawndn72 for the Bottlehead name-drop. that's a COOL looking site :D

Early B... I DID Google it. That's how I found that I'd gone way over my head. the point of my post was to ask for a little direction...but it's all good.

I'll save up some dough and go the pre-amp rout, I think.

But what about the whole really low power deal with the tube amps? I mean, the SEX Amps at bottlehead.com are like 2 watts.. what can you even do with 2 watts?
    thanks,
    CW
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited July 2005
    Options
    With the right speakers you can run yourself out of the room with 2 watts. That's why I was saying that you would have a hard time running the 9's on a tube amp unless you had a large budget.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    wallstreet, when you gonna sell me those LS-90s?:D :p:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Cwaters
    Ok, so I toyed with the idea of building myself a tube amp a while ago. I feel like I have the chops to do the assembly but it's certainly not something a know a lot about. I remember looking online at kits and being amaized at how much they cost, how little I know about these beasts, and how little power most of them have, especially when considering the price.

Flash forward to the hear and now, a year or two later.

Got some new Polks, found the forums again, been reading this one some and got interested in the idea again.
    Same deal, WOWs at the $ and low power ratings and how many different brands/models/guys in their garage are out there. It's kinda like trying to get into Jazz music or something, there's just SO much of it and I don't know anything about what's good or bad...

So, either I need to wait until I can play in the big leagues (probably never) or there are ways to get into tubes for a LOT less money (I really don't have any budget for this, it's just something I'm interested in)

I'm not asking for a "state of the world" address from anybody. A few good sites to check out or a few good here's how I did it stories woud be cool.

Thanks, and have a great day...

Cory
    living an ok life with his Sony str-db930 receiver and new LSi9s

Well, jeeze, I don't really know what your asking.....First, a low powered tube amp isn't going to do much for your LSi9's. Unless you are into speakers with REALLY high sensitivity, I wouldn't consider them a valid option.

Two, how much are you looking at spending? There are a lot of options out there and armed with a little time and an internet connection, a LOT of the research can be done on your own and you can evaluate what's appropriate for your situation.

Three, there aren't that many guys on here building thier own amps.....Jstas, BlueMDPicker are the only ones that come to mind.

If it were me and I wanted to get into tubes without breaking the bank, save up for a 30 to 50 wpc tube integrated....jolida and ASL are two attractive options that come to mind.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut