Ring Tweeters for TL replacements

Options
jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited June 2002 in Speakers
I just recently brought my things back from California. Among my things were my pair of 2.3tl's and to my dismay, 2 of the tweeters were damaged. The heat inside of my storage unit had distorted the diaphragms and thus killed them :( . I called Polk to see if replacements were still available. Wouldn’t you know it, they just ran out of the SL3000's and they are in the process of looking for a comparable replacement ( In 6 weeks or so). I realize Polk will probably want to replace them with original spec'd units. I just wondered if it would be more worth it to buy some Vifa ring tweets and modify my current setup. Does anyone here think those new Ring tweeters from Vifa would make great replacements? I have a pair of Lsi 15's and I love those new tweets I think they are way cleaner and image much better than the SL3000’s. It would be expensive, but worth the conversion. Any opinions?
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Micah/Justin:

What... Polk is out of SL3000's??? Pffff.
    What's with that?
    Didn't they see their stock dwindling slowly away?
    Isn't there a minimum inventory order point?
    Are they going to replace it with an identical manufactured SL3000, or is it some sort of "tweeter equivalent"?
    Six weeks.... can't they expedite for a premium (2.3TL's)
    signature-series speaker owner?

Caterpillar would stop production and re-tool the production line to help a customer that is "down in the field". This represents the highest level of commitment of company resources to support their EXISTING customers.

Don't take this thread too personally Micah/Justin. But, come-on, if you accept this sort of mediocre/poor behavior from your company, things are certainly on the way downhill.

WARNING WILL ROBINSON ! !

(I bet when Matt was personally watching the parts bins, he never ran out tweeters).

Tizz a disgrace to ask a customer to wait 6 weeks for a part.
    COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE ! ! !
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I've been wondering, do you think these Vifa's would equal the ones in the LSi15's?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-555&DID=7

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Ron. Chill dude. You're talking about a product that's neigh on 20 years old (last used in '92). There comes a time when you run out of parts, man, especially for products you haven't made in 20 years. It's unreasonable in the extreme if you think about it to think that we have a warehouse the size of New Jersey filled with parts of out-of-production products. (Of course, we do have a warehouse filled with parts of out-of-production products, we just happen to be out of the one you need.)

If we ran out of parts I'm sure that Ken and the kids in Kustomer Service are working on getting more for you. We're going to do our best to not leave you hanging, but you have to have some patience in situations like this. Jason's talking to engineers about it, and Helen's waiting for an ETA from the coast... We're all over this. Just be patient.

And me & Justin? We [whew] have nothing at all to do with this end of the biz. We're just here to make you feel good. Just call me Doctor Feelgood.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Dr. Feelgood...man, I ain't even touching that one....

Gotta agree with MC on this one though.

Isn't there a law or something where replacement parts have to be available for, I think, 10 yrs after it goes out of production??

I could be high, but I think I read that somewhere...

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I run into this problem all the time when I try to get parts for my 16 year old Audi. All the major parts are still made, but it's the little misc. pieces that you can't find. In those cases it's off to the used market.

Aaron
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Micah.... I was just rattling your chain.
    Of course, there really is no reason to run out of spare parts.
    Thats just poor logistics.

You know.... Polk really should capatalize on the fact that they
    support all of their product line with spare parts forever.
    That way, people know when they buy Polk... they are
    guaranteeing themselves working speakers with just
    some occasional hassle to make a phone call and have
    a next day part delivery. Its not that you don't already do this...
    its just that you don't advertise it. That is where some
    clever marketing by yourself could win you a big raise from
    Matt and you could move yourself out of the ghetto and buy
    some nice new warm/fuzzy socks. Think about it dude.
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Yea,
    You keep the parts for 20 years anyway, why not another 20 years and hype it up big time? For that matter you should be hyping up the 20 years you now keep them. I know, Rskarvan just said the same thing. I don't know of many other companies that do that. I did order a soundcraftsmen schematic a few years ago and the new company that owns it now came through with an old marked up copy. Can't beat that with a stick.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Why can't you use the Peerless 810665? What's the difference?

Peerless 810665

Cheers,
    Russ

MM, for all intents and purposes, thats the same tweeter....(Vifa RR)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jrausch
    edited June 2002
    Options
    This is the step above the Vifa, made by Scan-speak the same Danish conglomeration as Vifa. What do ya think?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Looks cool, yet painful.....

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Where can you get the scan-speak? I've seen pics before but never a source.
    madmax

• jrausch
    edited June 2002
    Options
    You could probably special order them from these guys. I don't think they carry them because they cost 3 times as much as the Vifa. @ $180 a crack that's an expensive upgrade for the 2.3's 6 tweet design. I could buy another pair of Lsi 15's at that price. The center stem and cover plate are CNC machined aluminum and they contain the companies best technology. Even though they look allot like the Vifa's, they are much more refined. They are also good at killing the competition.
    http://www.speakercity.com/scanspeak/scan_speak.shtml#Aluminum%20Dome%20Tweeter