Best Sounding Movie On Polks

Options
pjriccio
pjriccio Posts: 8
edited June 2002 in Music & Movies
I was just wondering what movie you Polk Heads thought sounded the best on Polk Speakers?

In my opion, it U571. When they drop thoes depth chargers, there is nothing better.
Post edited by pjriccio on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Star Wars ep1,
    the pod race and the duel between Obi one and darth maul.
    The pod race lit up my rears.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Just saw 'From Hell' the other day, I don't know if it's the best or anything like that, but it sure sounded great.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2002
    Options
    This is a tough question. That pod race -- we watched it actually tear up subwoofers in the demo room, bounce them all around and rip them to shreds from over modulated SFX. Is that "good"?

I think one of the best demos I've ever heard on Polks (all different kinds) is the "Diva" scene in THE FIFTH ELEMENT. As over played as it is, it showcases the speaker's complete range, from delicate music and extended range operatic voice, to thumping fistfights and whalloping intense gunfire. Back and forth, it's one of the most effective soundscapes.

Also, the opening sequence of TWISTER is a great sound demo for Polks, too. In it, you are able to hear not only the deep bassy animal growls that they mix into the twister, but also the delicate little details like the dog tag tinkling on the dog's collar as it runs out of the house. That's an intense difference: the wild, hair-raising aggression of the twister, and the tiny little sound of the dog tags. It's very impressive. (And I still recall one of the first press demos I attended, watching jaded audio journalists ducking and fidgeting from the surprising strength and volume of the RMDS-1 playing this scene!)

Oh, then there's that shootout scene in AIR FORCE ONE: music, dialog, and the most realistic gunfire I think I've ever heard! And the train crash from THE FUGITIVE: intense music and bass, and a crash that is the be-all of crashes.

Gad, I wish FROM HELL were better than it was. Blah.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Pearl Harbor attack scene in DTS mode.

The guns, the planes, the explosions, the sinking ship - everything.

Deep, POWERFUL bass on firing guns, bomb explosions, and the sinking ship. Bullet ricochets abound. The channel separation, delay timing, and spatial imaging is first rate on the numerous plane fly-bys.

I cannot believe more people don't recommend this DVD as a demo - it's flat out amazing - and I've heard and own most of the usual suspects.

Pearl Harbor DTS attack scene is tops in my demo book.

Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ted538
    ted538 Posts: 63
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Debbie does Dallas...enough said.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2002
    Options
    U-571
    Toy Story 2
    Matrix
    Star Wars Episode I

all great demo DVD's...
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited June 2002
    Options
    DTS Version of Saving Private Ryan!!!

Opening sequence is spectacular!!!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2002
    Options
    THE MUMMY AND THE MATRIX AND FAST AND THE FURIOUS!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The attack on the American Embassy in Rules of Engagement

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    Options
    DTS versions of U-571 & Saving Private Ryan
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I'd have to say the entire airplane/flight scene in Fight Club is one of my favs. It's got really good background music, great dialog and sound effects, and then when the two planes crash together... well... you know. ;)
  • rd98ac
    rd98ac Posts: 1
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Don't laugh ... but Pearl Harbour and the fly-by's .... simply wonderful.
  • mlware
    mlware Posts: 29
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I like THE HAUNTING in DTS with Gary Rydstrom's sound design and house-destroying bass attack, and Jerry Goldsmith's elegant score still perfectly authoritative over the noise.

Also, A.I., Saving Private Ryan, Air Force One, Amistad (1509 kbps), Deep Rising (laserdisc, full bit rate), The Lost World (laserdisc full bit rate), and a surprisingly well-mixed movie from Hong Kong, The Legend of Zu, all in DTS.

Unlike the reviews in the Polk newsletter, I never choose Dolby Digital over DTS.

...still enjoy the pcm audio of old school laserdiscs as well, sometimes more than compressed 5.1 versions, despite the mono surround on laser.