DVI to HDMI

Options
denny250
denny250 Posts: 8
edited June 2005 in Speakers
I have a Q here if anybody had similar experience. I have DVI out on both my comcast box & DVD player. I want to use both to connect to my plasma HDMI IN to get the best video input possible. Does anyone know if they make a cable with (2) DVI connector at one end and (1) HDMI at the other end? So I don't need to switch bet'w TV & DVD watching? thanks a lot. Other solutions are welcome too.
Post edited by denny250 on

Comments

• gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I don't know if they make a "Y" cable that you are looking for, but I'll offer one suggestion.

If your plasma has a DVI input, just use it. There is no difference between DVI & HDMI regarding video. HDMI simply adds audio. You may have better luck locating a DVI "Y" cable.

Not sure if you know this or not, but HDMI is not a better video connection than DVI, it simply adds the audio.

Of course, if your plasma only has the HDMI input, you can find a DVI to HDMI converter anywhere. Here is one...
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Denny, It sounds like you only have one digital input (HDMI/DVI) on you plasma. That is pretty typical. They don't make a Y-connector to splice two into one. You will need a DVI (or HDMI) switcher. They are not cheap. When you see the price, you may decide that the image is good enough from component video for at least one of the devices. Probably the DVD player.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-HDMI-switchers.htm

Typical price is $250 for a 2-into-1 switcher. Is it worth it?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Be sure to contact comcast and ask them if your cable is fully digital. Most of comcasts network is a combination of analog and digital channels and what this means to you is only the digital channels will output through the DVI. The DVI must also be turned on through a sub menu that comcast service can walk you through. You may have to wait for comcast to catch up before you pull the plug on an HDMI switcher.

=Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • billbillw
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jrausch
    Most of comcasts network is a combination of analog and digital channels and what this means to you is only the digital channels will output through the DVI.
    =Jer

Not true. All of the channels will play through the DVI.
  • gmorris
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by billbillw
    Not true. All of the channels will play through the DVI.

agreed.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Actually, not always- totally depends on the provider and box. TWC in raleigh BLOWS.

On some boxes you get digital audio output on all channels, some boxes it only works on digital channels, some boxes it only works with audio that's something other than 2 channel.

Same thing with the DVI. I'm currently pissed off since the HD box w/ a DVR doesn't have the DVI working. There's a DVI connection, but no DVI signal, becuase they intentionally turned it off. There's also no NTSC or S video- just component. Which shouldn't matter, until you want to use them. They do have some boxes w/ DVI activated, but they sucked for some other reason (I think the aspect ratio settings were locked to assume you had a 4:3 TV???).

Yeah, so around here you have to assume that TWC will find some way to make their boxes NOT do what you want them too and then they'll blame it on your gear.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • billbillw
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Denny has Comcast. I know from experience that Comcast has DVI active on all of their HD boxes. Other providers do have mixed results however.
  • gmorris
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by unc2701
    Actually, not always- totally depends on the provider and box. TWC in raleigh BLOWS.

On some boxes you get digital audio output on all channels, some boxes it only works on digital channels, some boxes it only works with audio that's something other than 2 channel.

Same thing with the DVI. I'm currently pissed off since the HD box w/ a DVR doesn't have the DVI working. There's a DVI connection, but no DVI signal, becuase they intentionally turned it off. There's also no NTSC or S video- just component. Which shouldn't matter, until you want to use them. They do have some boxes w/ DVI activated, but they sucked for some other reason (I think the aspect ratio settings were locked to assume you had a 4:3 TV???).

Yeah, so around here you have to assume that TWC will find some way to make their boxes NOT do what you want them too and then they'll blame it on your gear.

Get Direct TV. ;)
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by gmorris
    Get Direct TV. ;)

Haha... yeah, I might do that when I move- I'm just not that impressed with their HD offerings thus far and don't feel like forking over the cash for a box until the Direct TV HD DVR's get good & debugged.

Anyhow, TWC in an adjacent region has DVI activated and I've heard simliar complaints about stupid regional differences w/ comcast as well.

Regardless, I think my first recommendation would be to get a DVI-> HDMI adapter, and see if 1)It's worth it and 2)all the channels come through.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • gmorris
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by unc2701
    Regardless, I think my first recommendation would be to get a DVI-> HDMI adapter, and see if 1)It's worth it and 2)all the channels come through.

Yes, the one I provided a link to in my first post is only $25. The link I gave is to audioadvisor.com, who will gladly take it back if it doesn't do what you want.
  • denny250
    denny250 Posts: 8
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

Actually I was refered to a site that makes the kind I was looking for.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIY%2D2

It looks like all I need is a DVI-HDMI adapter and (2) DVI-DVI cables or if easier, (1) DVI-HDMI cable & (1) DVI-DVI cable.

I will be trying a DVI-HDMI on my comcast box first just to make sure the DVI out on the box actually works. I will keep you guys posted.
  • gmorris
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Well slap my **** and call me Shirley, a DVI "Y" cable!!! Nice find...
  • billbillw
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by denny250

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIY%2D2

It looks like all I need is a DVI-HDMI adapter and (2) DVI-DVI cables or if easier, (1) DVI-HDMI cable & (1) DVI-DVI cable.

I will be trying a DVI-HDMI on my comcast box first just to make sure the DVI out on the box actually works. I will keep you guys posted.

It looks to me like this product is designed to have two displays from one source, not the other way around, but it might work. I have a feeling that HDCP will prevent you from using this with your home theater equip. Let us know how it works though.