Monitor 7 and 7B ?

Options
duke46
duke46 Posts: 11
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I see people selling Monitor 7 speakers and then I see listed 7B? I do know that the Peerless tweeter is involved as in when they were made? The pair that I bought that were listed as the 7 has the Peerless tweeter. I saw a set listed as 7's and it showes the opaque dome. Mine also have the 10" passive radiator. I am just trying to not confuse myself and pick up another set that match as close as possible for my Quad setup.
The two that I have sure did put the Bose 301's too shame. They sound smooth and never new what I have been missing. I sure do thank you guys for the help on picking the right type of speakers for my system.
Duke
duke
Post edited by duke46 on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Are you holding those up with a net?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • duke46
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Just make sure you are in the joist and using the same type screw that you would use to hang a swing. As you see thats why I couldn't go with the R-30 or 50's. To much stuff in all 4 corners. The nets are the same type that you find in the kits with shells and whatnots that you can buy almost any where. They also make a good backdrop behind a seaside picture and hanging above a fan.
    You also make sure when hanging that you bunch it up at the top so if it ever gives, there is more to hold it. I never had a problem with the 301's but these are double the weight but the net seems to be holding strong . The nets are close to 20yrs old but they are not in direct sunlight. Sunlight would kill them quick.
    Duke
    duke
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Why not put a shelf up to sit them on? Nets.... that's a new one.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I've seen nets used before, just not with a speaker of that size. Just seems that you would lose alot of the bass reponse from the 7's. Looks like a nice room with alot of nice vintage gear, though.
    Good luck.
  • duke46
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Some companys make wall mounts so I just net mount! The wall behind the speakers is a wall and not a wall its the ceiling this house is an A frame. The speakers are about 2" away near the top and about 8" at the bottom. On the side you are seeing there is a flat space above the built in unit and where the ceiling starts. But when you cross over to the other side of the room we have two tall wicker shelf's that hit the botton edge of where the panel part of the ceiling starts. Those I say is the wife's space.There would be a place between them above the couch to mount them but the wife would have a cow! The speakers hang a little in front and above the wicker. So every body is happy? The room is 24' by 14' and where the speakers are there is 20' between them!
    There is also an 18" 100W DBX sub system inder the spiral stair case that keeps all the pictures and books in our home office amiss from time to time when I decide to really rock the house.
    And who says a 59 year old can't rock.
    Rock and Roll and doing it right.
    Duke
    duke
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2005
    Options
    There were 7's, 7A's, and 7B's. 7C's, too, I think, later (maybe late 1980's?). The original 7 had uncoated drivers and an 8" PR. The cones on the 7A's were coated and the PR was 10". My 7A's have two fuses, too (1A tweeter fuse and 1.5A system fuse). The 7B's were cosmetically improved, I believe, but I think they had the same drivers (including the Peerless silk dome tweeters) as the earlier versions of the 7.
  • duke46
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have the one set and they were listed as 7's and have the 10" and have the name on the cover so they could be ?? and I just bought another set of 7B's off ebay and these have the 10" but the name is on the wood and not cover so I think they are to older B's. I am not sure on that but thats what I was told ? If eather of these have fuses where would they be located and how do you get to them? Wouldn't want to unscrew something that would be wrong. I might need to know if something was to happen to one. I did learn how to test each speaker coil with a one and a half volt battery. I guess I might have known that but to many miles put on the brain over the years.
    Thanks
    Duke
    duke
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The fuse location on my Mon 10A's is just above the binding posts on the outside. Very obvious, you can't miss 'em if you have 'em.
  • duke46
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I have seen some speakers with them right on the back. I also saw someone selling a set of crossovers and I saw fuses mounted on the board. Thats why I was asking. I don't remember the brand of them.
    Thanks
    duke
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    When I first started looking for vintage Polks, the way I could tell the Monitors from some of the RTA's and others was to look for the fuses. Often there are no markings remaining on the backs of these speakers. This forum has helped me, tremendously, identify vintage Polks, which IMO, are better in most regards than the newer models. The newer ones are prettier but, IMO, no better sonically. Just my $.02.
  • duke46
    edited June 2005
    Options
    You are right about the help and the share of info. It helps a lot.
    Thanks
    duke