WTB AMD processor

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited June 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I used to be up to date on upgrades and now my computer is slowing down, have a 1.4 and want a AMD 2400+ or higher... let me know what you computer geeks have... in computers geek is a compliment :D I'm one myself, LOL
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2005
    Screw the computer. You need to be working on that source next buddy :rolleyes:

;):D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    which source needs changed? I got the dodd, the famed tosh 3960 and a old school nad tuner... what more ya want.. I'm not into $$1000 cd players, :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2005
    Will your mobo support a 2400+?
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    yeah, its a N-force board... and it takes up to a 24 or 2600+ i think.. been so long since i messed with it i cant remember.. will look at the book tomorrow
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2005
    Not to question your computer knowledge but what do you want a faster processor for? Do you play high-end games or do CPU intensive work? 90% of the time all your system is lacking is RAM or a decent speed hard drive. Also, I go to a lot of people's houses to fix their computers (family/friends for free, grrr) and most of the time their computers are bogging because they're running 20 programs from startup, which kills system resources.

If you can give me some system specs that would help a lot.

:D
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    Nah, appreciated but ive been building computers for 6 or more years, I also build computers on the side. when i got heavy into audio over the last few years i abandoned computers and my hobby of messing with them. I rip video from my mini dv camera, also burn alot of dvd's and its very cpu/memory intensive.. I have 512 megs of ram, could get more i suppose but the 1600+ (1.4) AMD is getting slow when they have 3000+ cpu's out now.. Its a really nice board but needs a larger cpu and memory to help with my video duty.also i have a 160 gig maxtor 7200 rpm drive, forgot the specs but its fast. also my cheapest computer parts warehouse went out of business and that's when i really quite upgradeing every 3-4 months... Thanks though

Still need a cpu, Ive seen a few guys here sell them so its worth a try...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2005
    I gotta question the hard drive speed thing...

Are you talking about the difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive or the difference between your typical 7200 and something like the Raptor drives by WD?

Either way, I've never seen a move to either one of these have a significant impact on system speed. I've seen regular maintenance on a drive (i.e. clean up and defrag and setting a static page file) make more significant performance than swapping out a drive, which ties in with your software statement.

9 times out of 10 I can increase a computer's speed by 50% just by cleaning off all the spyware and adware and removing unneeded crap from startup in the registry or msconfig, and also turning off alot of the services we don't need runing.

Having said that, if you're looking in to gaming or stuff like rpiing and burning movies, you'll need a decent processor. If your system is just running slow and you want to speed it back up but not really change your computing habits, then a proc upgrade may not be necessary.

I'll also second the RAM suggestion. Typically, in low memory, adding RAM yeilds the biggest improvement. But be careful, because you can have too much RAM, especially with an older OS. Your computer uses processor resources to manage RAM, and having too much RAM can actually slow your PC down because of the extra load it's having to manage. This is not so much of an issue with Windows XP, but is with older operating systems.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2005
    Cliff, what kind of mobo you got?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2005
    I found some 2400s on pricewatch for $66 - $70. Those are OEM models though, so you'd still need a heatsink and fan, and I would not recommend using the one you have now because I doubt it would be sufficient to cool the faster one...
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    Its a MSI k7n2G board, will take up to a 2700+ Cpu, nah its not slow during normal use, and no i don't play games... It just started last night which makes me think spy ware or something, I use mcconfig all the time and have minimal start up crap, however I run XP pro and it has a ton of crap under process's which all are marked system and related type crap.... XP uses alot of resources by it self.. It started bogging down while trying to burn a dvd movie...

I know i can find a cheaper one on e-bay, and im kinda broke now.. just wondered if someone here had one cheap before i started looking elsewhere... thanks for the info and links..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    I know that I'm very pleased with my AMD XP2000 pro. I've had sveral computer geeks tell me that the only reason the Pentium Pros are #1 is nothing but marketing. They all said the AMD was a superior processor. Can anyone here confirm that? I'm about to upgrade myself and was looking at the AMD Athlon 64 3200.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2005
    Hahah.... the Pentium Pros haven't been around for YEARS. You're talking about the modern Pentium 4 processors...

Anyway, AMD is by far the better choice when looking at the price/performance ratio. The mobos are cheaper, the procs are cheaper, you definately get more for your money.

I run an Athlon64 system here at work, and it's fast, but at this point it's not worth it in my eyes. I'm still running 32bit windows, so I'm not even using all my bits! I did run the beta 64bit for a while but it didn't really do anything that special for me. I'm sure in the future it will be used more, but right now it just ain't worth the coinage.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Yes I was talking about the Pentium 4. I'll stick with the AMD's. I can get a HP with the 64 3200 w/ 512 ram/160gb hd/dvdrw dl ls/
    dvd/128 video/xp for $500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2005
    My solution to the windows/spyware/"my computer keeps getting slower" problem: I make a super clean install of windows, do all the service packs& updates, then image the drive.

Every few months: SCORCHED EARTH!!! I wipe the harddrive and restore the image. Requires you to have a spare drive to keep the image, but it'll keep things running smooth.

Can't help you with the processor- the only thing I've got laying around is a 933 pent III... Regardless, you'll probably get more benefit from RAM- I rarely max out my CPU even with some heavy duty Stat simulations at work.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    I just downloaded ad-aware today, and more memory is what i will do first... whats xp use? 1 gig, I know 98 capped out at 512 of useable memory....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited June 2005
    Dunder Heads,

So much for being on the up and up. Ad-Aware(Lava Soft) SUCKS. Download the new Beta from MicroGates main page (www.microsoft.com)

One of many Gates take good overs. This software kicks ****. Quick tidbit, it still says BETA but this is a recent buy out. Trust me it caught and removed a Remote Access Trojan the other day. No ****. Its free and is real time.

Up yours,

**** Brick
    Life without music would
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2005
    Yeah, I'll trust Microsoft to take off the stuff that THEY allowed to be put ON my system. Gimme a break.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by faster100
    whats xp use? 1 gig, I know 98 capped out at 512 of useable memory....

XP uses an average of 250mb minimum just to run ; and up to 400mb on the upside of things (with no backround programs depending if its XP home or Pro and what service pak you have ) .

Don't quote me here... but if I remeber correctly XP Home is good for a 1gig , and XP Pro 1.5-2gig ; but this too depends on which serivce PAK is installed .

What ever version of XP you may use , there is a VERY noticeable differance in performance between 512 and 1gig installed . Past the 1gig mark of installed memory , the performance increase becomes less noticable but is still there . It comes down to primarily on how and what you use the pc for .

I recently added a secong gig of memory , giving me 2gigs total , and although the increase was slight , it is noticeable in heavy gaming and large video files . Too me , the second gig was well worth it in every aspect . One, the price of memory is at its lowest in 2 years ; and gaming and video runs sooooo nice and fluid its not funny .

Bottom line .... 1gig is almost a must now-a-days with people running multiple apps at the same time (including programs running in the back-round .

I can say this ... once you go up to 1gig of memory you will NEVER go back to anything less .

And ... for anyone looking into the x64 Windows , that OS is good for using up to 4gigs of system memory .
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • faster100
    edited June 2005
    Thanks, memory it is
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tone Deaf
    Tone Deaf Posts: 2
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Polkmaniac
    Cliff, what kind of mobo you got?
    Better yet . . . [URL=http://]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103439[/URL]
    The Mobile Barton cores are unlocked, so he should have no trouble running his system @ 400FSB (assuming his memory can handle it)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2005
    As unc2701 said, drive imaging is the key.

Get all your programs running and all the updates installed. Get everything running and set like you like it, then image the drive. Once a month or so, I restore that image and get a fresh start.

It takes about 30 minutes to do the image and about 30 minutes to do a restore. It'll save you alot of time and make your life alot easier.

And with the newer imaging tools, you don't NEED a second drive, you can alway back up the image to a DVD or CD(s).

I've used every image program out there, and Acronis True Image is the best I've found for home use...