Replacement for SL2000

2»

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    I'm not much of an HT guy, but isn't the center channel mono?
    If so how does the CRS+ SDA work as a center?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2005
    I would imagine they run mono, so no SDA effect, but they would be a great voice match for the SDA-1C's.
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by WilliamM2
    I never had to move my SDA-1C's, they drop right in from the front. Very simple.

Aren't those speakers a little high for a seated listening position? Just curious.

Hi William,

Thanks for the response.

If you notice from the drawing the tweeters of the mains are vertically centered on the screen. Likewise the dual stack CRS+ yield a phantom center channel centered vertically on the screen. The intent of this arrangement was to more realistically center the action on the screen.

I'm quite pleased by the results.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the rear seating platform is 14 inches high and raises the listener's ears so they are almost level with the tweeters. Nevertheless, the soundfield in the front seating is still excellent even though the tweeters are much higher than the listener's ears.
    profile4.gif

Larry
  • Larry Chanin
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    I'm not much of an HT guy, but isn't the center channel mono?
    If so how does the CRS+ SDA work as a center?

Hi ND,

Yes, William is quite right on both counts. You can only get the SDA effect with stereo signals.

I used to use a CS400i as the center for my SDA-1C's. It was a pretty good timbre match, but not perfect. The SDA-CRS+'s have the identical tweeters and mid-range drivers as the 1C's and they are a perfect match as William surmised.

Larry
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Larry Chanin
    Hi ND,

Yes, William is quite right on both counts. You can only get the SDA effect with stereo signals.

I used to use a CS400i as the center for my SDA-1C's. It was a pretty good timbre match, but not perfect. The SDA-CRS+'s have the identical tweeters and mid-range drivers as the 1C's and they are a perfect match as William surmised.

Larry

I thought the CRS+ had two tweeters(one for sda). Also, how does the SDA driver work out in this set-up. I'm just trying to educate myself on different HT scenarios for the future. I prefer vintage Polks over the newer designs. I'm not knocking the new stuff at all. I just think that for the money it's hard to beat the vintage.
  • Larry Chanin
    edited June 2005
    I thought the CRS+ had two tweeters(one for sda). Also, how does the SDA driver work out in this set-up. I'm just trying to educate myself on different HT scenarios for the future. I prefer vintage Polks over the newer designs. I'm not knocking the new stuff at all. I just think that for the money it's hard to beat the vintage.

Hi ND,

The original CRS's had two tweeters. I'm not sure whether or not they were used for the SDA effect. Perhaps one of the veteran SDAers can chime in here to clarify the issue. The CRS+ are thought to be preferrable by many Club members. As you can see in the photo below they only have one tweeter.
    shadow2.jpg

I do know that some of the early SDA's had SDA tweeters and that Matt Polk eventually discovered that it was the mid range drivers that were most responsible in producing the SDA effect. Therefore, he later discontinued SDA tweeters.

Notice that my mains have two tweeters, but they are vertically arranged and are not used for the SDA effect. For the SDA effect to work the SDA drivers must be spaced horizontally apart by about a head's width.

I believe that some folks here find the SDA speakers with SDA tweeters were not bad, but slightly "phasey" in sound. Therefore they were less pleasing than the newer SDA's without the second tweeter.

You'll find that many folks here, including myself, share the belief that the SDA's were the best speakers Polk Audio ever manufactured.

Click on the link in my signature for some more photos of my home theater.

Larry
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    I agree, I have the 2A's. I just got the two CRS's confused, to many Ebay looks at ignorant seller's gear I guess. But when using a SDA for center channel(mono) are you not utilizing the other driver?
  • Larry Chanin
    edited June 2005
    I agree, I have the 2A's. I just got the two CRS's confused, to many Ebay looks at ignorant seller's gear I guess. But when using a SDA for center channel(mono) are you not utilizing the other driver?

Hi ND,

No, since I know I can't get the SDA effect on mono signals, I haven't even contacted the interconnect cable. As a result the SDA driver (mid range) is idle. I suspect it would still be idle even if the the interconnect were connected.

I know of one Club member, Raife, who rewired his SDA drivers on his CRS+'s in parallel with the stereo drivers in order to have them active when he was using them in a center channel application.

Larry
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Larry Chanin
    Hi ND,

The original CRS's had two tweeters. I'm not sure whether or not they were used for the SDA effect.

Yes, they are. Any of the SDA's with two tweeters mounted horizontally uses one for the SDA tweeter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk