4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Options
ddelcore
ddelcore Posts: 11
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
My JVC RX-8000VBK has a selector switch for speaker load. One position for 4-6 ohm's. The second for 8-16 ohms. I have a pair of Polk 10B Monitors that are 6 ohm and a set of 7C's that are 8 ohm.

What would be the best setting?
Post edited by ddelcore on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I'd just leave that thing on 8 ohm. Receivers are notorious for having issues when people use the 4 ohm switch on the back - at least that's what I remember.

That's just my initial thought, call it somewhat uneducated - I'm sure someone else will chime in with better explanation.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited June 2005
    Options
    polkmaniac's right.

leave it on 8ohm.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Why not take the option to run your speakers at the proper ohm setting? You will see more of their ability that way. I've heard that same thing from people that didn't seem to know much about speakers and stereos. I may have also heard it from some that know their stuff, but I have heard it more from the people that don't. I'm not passing judgement on anyone that sees it one way or another either. If people had a problem with their ohm switch it could have been defective IMO. My Polk SDA's are 4 ohm and I have my switch in the 4 ohm position where it belongs IMO on my Yamaha receiver. Works perfect! The Monitor 7C's are rated at 4 ohm BTW. Cheaper AVRs don't run two sets of mains too well. You can only run one set of 4 ohm mains on most AVRs that can do 4 ohm. They normally run two sets of mains only at 8 ohm. I'd suggest putting the switch to 4-6 ohm while the power to the AVR is OFF. Then run one set of mains at a time so they can run at the proper ohm setting. Maybe some people had a problem because they didn't make sure the ohm switch was all the way over before turning the power to the AVR on. Cheers!
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited June 2005
    Options
    As per other's comments, leave it on the 8 ohm setting. Switching to the 4-6 ohm setting restricts the output.

Read the 'NOTE' section on this page for futher info.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Sell the JVC.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.