Question.......SDA-1A

Options
thehaens@cox.net
thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Picked up some SDA's yesterday,

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum...&threadid=29223

and haven't had a lot of time to listen to em' but here something is bothering me....again, I only had about 20 minutes of time to listen as the wife wanted to watch some reality dance competition. I really need a room to myself........anyway. First off they are being powered by a Parasound HCA-1500, fair power for the speakers. I have a Sony ES receiver handling the pre/pro duty. Anyway I played back some music, CD material. Placed the sony in 2 Channel, took a listen, and then placed the sony in auto decode, (puts the subs in the 2 channel lineup), When I put the subs in the equation the speakers were noticeably quieter.........(I have two PSW-150's)......turned off the subs, and the speakers got louder. Also I noted the speakers sounded better without the sub, but def. not enough low end for my taste....Unfortunately I can only place them 6 inches from the side of each wall, as the rest of my system spreads out along the entire wall. So I know I am not placing them in the optimum position. To be exact, they are 25" from the back wall.....6" from side wall, and approx 14 feet apart....

I am sure I am going to have more questions as I become engaged to these speakers, but just wondering if anyone has found the attenuation that I have when adding a sub. One more thing, I never had this attenuation with the RT-16's that were hooked up.

scott
Post edited by thehaens@cox.net on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Don't know about the lower level thing with subs.

Is the Parasound 1500 common ground?
    Do you have the interconnect cable?

These have a blade blade interconnect, right?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Don't know about the lower level thing with subs.

Is the Parasound 1500 common ground?
    Do you have the interconnect cable?

These have a blade blade interconnect, right?

The parasound is common ground........

Yes, interconnect is on, and works properly, did the left/right balance to check if all drivers were working and all is working.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2005
    Options
    They are too far out from the back wall, way to far apart and as you indicated, too close to the side walls. With your current set up they are never going to sound right. The only thing that comes to mind about the sub situation is something with the way the pre/pro processes in auto decode.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thehaens@cox.net
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I figured as much, unfortunately my audio racks, (Bello's), and TV are pushed back as far as they can go, so I would have to place the speakers behind the racks to get them closer. So, with that I will just have to live with it, or hook the RT's back up, and move the SDA's to another room.........