Minimum power for speakers ???

stef_000us
stef_000us Posts: 29
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
Hello everyone,

Is there such a concept as a minimal power requirement to get a speaker to reproduce sound at an optimal level?

Here's where my question is coming from. I have a pair of RTI70 as main. Both are biwired with gauge 12. If I listen to music at a low volume and slowly increase the volume, there is a point where the sound suddentely change. Not sure how to phrase this but the sound become a lot richer at a specific power level.

So this is where my question is coming from. Is there really a minimal "power point" where the speaker would kick in and the sound would drastically change? Sorry for all my technical terms :) I am new to the realms of home theater.

Thanks,

Stef
Post edited by stef_000us on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    What receiver are you using?

I wouldn't think there should be a sudden, drastic change in volume or clarity, unless your gear was old, and maybe had a dirty pot.....

Those speakers should attenuate smoothly and evenly reagrdless, and should be pleasing with anything from 1 to 250 watts or so....(of good, clean, sweet sweet power)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    agreed, I think folks would be surprised at how much (or little, really) power that speakers really consume......my little 15wpc Marantz will drive any most speakers to an uncomfortable level.

Having said that, exactly, they shouldn't have any dramatic changes in volume.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • stef_000us
    edited May 2002
    Hi Russ and Troy,

Thanks for your replies. I am using a yamaha htr-5560 (75W per channel). If I compare the sound at -50db and -40db the sound just isn't the same (not talking about volume). When I raise the volume by 0.5 increment, their is a point where I can hear the speaker "opening up". So obviously, this is something else that volume involve here. Or maybe it is my brain and ears that "open up" at some level :)

Stef
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Do you have another set of speakers to test with? See if the same thing happens? Check and see if it happens to multiple sources, eg: cd, dvd, phono, fm...... Are you using any DSP modes, or soundfields?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    hes describing the change in dynamic range in his receiver.All amps/receiver's have sweat spots there they come to life,some are smooth all the way up to reference level's then explode with crazy dynamic power.
    Yamaha in general performs better when turned up above low listening levels.The change you hear is correct.If you go to far up ,the sweatness goes away and harshness sets in.Find the sweat spots and don't exceed them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    I guess it depends on how drastic this 'change' is. I read it as pretty drastic, and at a resonable level.

I do agree though, the Yammies will definately brighten up a room if pushed......

-R
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    I have worked with and owned yamaha for years,I have found they love to be pushed, not to hard but they have this sweat area thats awesome.Go above it and your asking for ear bleeding, go below it and the dynamic range just dies.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • stef_000us
    edited May 2002
    So this is called dynamic range :)

Thanks all for your replies,

stef