Awesome demo last night...

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited May 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Whilest waiting for my beloved mother in law and wife to arrive at this little seafood joint for dinner, I stopped in to Audio Concepts (audioconceptsonline.com). They are in Dallas, a bit of a drive, so I had not visited them in some time....

ANYWAY...

Audio Research LS16 mkII Tube pre
Audio Research VT200 mkIII Tube amp
Rega P3 Turntable
Thiel 3.6
Kimber Monocle X cables

He opened a NEW 180gram pressing of 'Kind of Blue'...... I almost lost all control over my bodily functions... Analog at its finest. The only way it should be listened to....

That's all I have to say about that, I can't even put it into words....I'm still in awe......

A new Rega P2 turntable is most certainly in the near future for me.....

Cheers,
Russ

ps, anyone got $1600 I can borrow for those used Thiels?
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    So, Talkwithloadinpants, how was dinner? Bet you don't even remember.......

1600 for 3.6's actually seems like a decent price, does it not?

Chief WFR
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    It is a STEAL for that price. Introduced in 1978, still a current model.

Thiel 3.6 info

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    well, shoot, it only goes to 27hz (-3db)....how can that be any good?

I honestly wish that there was a Thiel dealer nearby as I have never heard a bad word about Thiels and from time to time, you see some GREAT deals on them.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Whilest waiting for my beloved mother in law

You have been drinking, haven't you?:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Did you like the amp/ pre amp???I personally think Audio research makes the finest tubes amps.We carry them, I get to listen to them often.
    The very best tube demo I did was with a pair of Martin Logan Prodigy's.They are my personal favorite speaker we carry.
    What did you think of the Kimber cable???I find them to slightly bright, but with the tubes and Thiels , they most likely worked really good.Thiel is another speaker company thats been doing a excellent job for years now.They just get better.
    Sounds like you had alot of fun.:)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Audio Research makes gear to drool over, period. The Kimber's seamed right on, I've never heard any brightness to them, but I've only heard them on B&W and now Thiel.

It was fun, I'll be back for sure.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    A new Rega P2 turntable is most certainly in the near future for me.....
    Geez Russ, buying a new piece of equipment?

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    More likely than not, Turntables and CD players I just don't feel good about getting shipped to me, unless from the factory.....

For now, I'll keep using my Quadraflex Reference 610T with Grado cart I got at the thrift store for $7.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    jim thiel is a genus at making crossovers and time alined speakers.
    thats why they sound so good.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Agreed Joe, and the internal bracing is second to none. Heavy suckers, solid....

Thanks Joe, Russ
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2002
    What the hell is a time-aligned speaker.
    Is that sort-of-like a "negative reality inversion"?
    Serious though. And, don't just say its mounting the
    drivers on an angle.

But, yes, the Thiel's sound extraordinarily good.
    Clearest (most transparent) speaker I've ever heard.
    Sounds better than Martin Logan. Thiel's have bass.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Time aligned:

When a speaker system is said to be time aligned it usually refers to the ability of the speaker to produce a sharp, single rise in acoustic output, followed by an exponential decay (with some oscillation) when subject to a step change in input signal. Non time aligned systems typically produce a distorted rise, consisting of multiple pulses associated with the woofer and tweeter seperately. More simply put, in a time aligned system the initial woofer and tweeter signals, in response to a step change in input, reach the listener at the same time. Of course, this only happens on the design axis. Time aligned system may or may not be phase coherent, phase aligned, or truely transient accutate.

Phase coherent:

A speaker system that is phase coherent should retain, in its acoustic output, the same phase relationships between different frequencies as was present in the input signal. A speaker system that has flat response and is phase coherent is, by definition, transient accurate. Similarly, a truely transient accurate speaker system is phase coherent.

Phase aligned:

When someone claims their speaker is phase aligned you should inquire, "With respect to what?" Without additional information the term "phase aligned" has little meaning in my mind. Any crossover which accurately follows some predefined theoretical target functions could be said to be "phase aligned". Surely correctly designed crossovers of the standard type employed in systems where there is no relative offset between the drivers are all phase aligned.

Transient perfect:

This is perhaps the easiest term to define. It simply means that the output of the speaker will be a faithful acoustic representation of the input in both amplitude and phase.

Of course all of these terms only apply with reference to a specific design point or design axis. Move off the design axis and alignment of any type is lost simply because the path length to the different drivers will change. And, perhaps more importantly, with the exception of transient perfect, any of these terms can easily be missapplied leading. Finally, while I believe that these definition are reasonable and sensible representations of what each term should convey about a speaker system, they are in no means universally agreed upon by the speaker building community. Nor is there even agreement on the audible effects these various design considerations impose on the final speaker system.

(All this I had in a doc, taken from a website, I don't have the link to give credit where credit is due....)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    russ, dont forget that there is a physical time aligned of the drivers on the bathle, all jem thiel speakers bathles are set on angle that puts the drivers at a differant distant to your ears plus adding the timed aligned crossovers.will be a coherent flat speaker system.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.