BI-Amping Rti-4's: Mosfet vs. Bi-polar Amps

Options
aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,490
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a pair of Rti-4's wired to an Adcom 5300 MOSFET amp, and an Adcom 7300 60x5 bi-polar amp wired to my center, side and rear surrounds, with a Harman Kardon 235 serving as the receiver, pre/pro. My question is regarding listening to music in 2ch. mode with just my rti-4's with subwoofer.

Adcom's midrange tonality is nice (the 5300 amp) - yet the high notes are kind of in your face. For home theater- the Adcom's bright/aggressive sound is of no consequence, but I listen to music first and foremost and prefer a warmer laid back sound that the Adcom isn't giving me. Is it because it's a Mosfet design instead of a bipolar one?

Question #1-
Which amp design is better for 2ch. music playback if you much prefer a warm/laid back sound from neutral speakers (rti-4)?

BI-AMP option- (Midrange to the Adcom, Tweeter to the H/K receiver)

Bi-Amp Scenario #1- I could wire the tweeter to the h/k and let the 2ch. mosfet adcom 5300 (80 wpc) play the 5 1/4 inch midrange- do you think that will improve the sound?

Bi-Amp Scenario #2- ... or should I instead hook up the 5ch. bi-polar 7300 (60wpc) to the rti-4's woofer while wiring the tweeter to the H/K?

The reason I'm thinking of hooking the tweeter up to the H/K is because Its widely accepted that H/K has a warmer sound in it's highs than Adcom does. I haven't tried either yet- cuz i'm afraid i'd blow the speaker.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    ok. starting four threads on the same topic isn't going to help you make friends. one thread per topic is plenty. not four. :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Really....I was surprised it wasn't in the Flea Market also :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • aaharvel
    edited May 2005
    Options
    it's a good way to get as much advice as I can. I'm assuming most of the people know what they're talking about on the polk thread- so I'm using it to my advantage.

I posted my question on the "Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions," "Electronics," "2channel," "Troubleshooting," and "Speaker" threads. ALL of these threads are perfectly relevant to my questions.

If it bothers you that much then don't read them. Simple as that.
    =)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by aaharvel
    it's a good way to get as much advice as I can. I'm assuming most of the people know what they're talking about on the polk thread- so I'm using it to my advantage.

I posted my question on the "Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions," "Electronics," "2channel," "Troubleshooting," and "Speaker" threads. ALL of these threads are perfectly relevant to my questions.

If it bothers you that much then don't read them. Simple as that.
    =)

Ok. you win. but i warned ya buddy. better put your flame retarded suit on. :p
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2005
    Options
    it's a good way to get as much advice as I can.

I got a feeling you'll get more than that :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • aaharvel
    edited May 2005
    Options
    lol appreciate the heads up

and for the advice on interconnects.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• dragon1952
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Ok. you win. but i warned ya buddy. better put your flame retarded suit on. :p

Awright .... hold the show....I just noticed something here.

Did you just say "flame retarded!?!?!"

:confused::p:D
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dragon1952
    Awright .... hold the show....I just noticed something here.

Did you just say "flame retarded!?!?!"

:confused::p:D

Yup i did.

I know it's retardant.. but retarded seemed somehow to fit better. :p
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,087
    edited May 2005
    Options
    WTF, is this question clonning itself?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Yeah, dude, Just post in one place.

Now here's a simple answer your question -- either use the receiver to power the fronts or get another amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • aaharvel
    edited May 2005
    Options
    alrighty. next time i'll post in one place. i didn't know that was a rule of sorts but that's cool.

I'm still learning my way around these forums.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• dragon1952
    edited May 2005
    Options
    It's probably safe to take off the "flame retarded suit" now. ;)