A little advice needed SDA 2a or 2b?

caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of SDA's marked only "SDA" on back. I always thought they were 2b's but recently reading I have some question in my mind. They have a single sl 2000 tweeter and 2 drivers along with the 12 PR. The interconnect is a blade blade style. The cabinets are a dark wood vinyl sticker.

2nd question
I have sound coming from both tweeters but the tonal quality is different. I have noticed this before but really only started investigating last night. I pulled both tweets and they are SL2000's although one is marked 1c and the other 2b. I switched the tweets and the problem followed the tweeter. The "bad?" tweeter sounds more muted and flat while the good one is crisp (like I feel they should be). I performed all of my listening tests with the interconnect unhooked, mono mode and with bass turned down and treble up so the problem would be accentuated. It seems that when the cable is hooked up, in stereo, and with bass and treble set to normal, the problem is difficult to hear (it seems the "bad?" tweet blends with the good one). I guess the problem is that one tweeter doesn't sound like the other although it is still functioning.
Anyone else ever hear of similar problem? I have Ken S. sending me the SDA test list to make sure there isn't something else causing this. I assume the only solution is to replace the SL2000 with one which sounds similar.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    Blade Blade interconnect, "should be" SDA 2A, the 2B's I have seen where pin blade.

It sounds like you need a new tweeter, good time to swap both out for the new replacement tweeter.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • caseymou
    edited May 2005
    I hate to sound like a tight wad but I'm prepping these for sale and just want to make sure they are in good shape for the eventual buyer. I'm not really ready to drop $100 in something I'm going to turn around and sell. I will probably search for a vintage SL2000 or sell as is (with known trouble disclosed) and let the buyer decide wheather to replace both with the new style or replace with vintage.
  • caseymou
    edited May 2005
    Can tweeters that still work be reconditioned without replacement? Is there something that can be done to enhance the sound if they still function?
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Indeed as Russ says, they are 2As.

Currious: How long have you had them and why are you getting rid of them?
  • caseymou
    edited May 2005
    I bought them in 2002. My speaker inventory consists of (not including the HT system) Ohm walsh 2's, RT55's, Klipsch KG4's, SDA 2a's. I cannot bring myself to part with the RT55's or KG4's so eventually the Ohm's and SDA's will be converted to $$ for an upgrade in the HT receiver. I am currently running a Denon 1602 and it just ain't cutting the mustard. An upgrade to 38** denon, NAD T7**, Onkyo, HK, or Marantz is being looked at. With my many other hobbies, new cash is not available to add so I must convert.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Gotcha, been there. PM'd you.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2005
    How much are you looking for?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2005
    You have a PM.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2005
    It was a great day for a long drive, made even better by the hospitality caseymou showed me when I arrived at his place to pick up the SDA's. There were no surprises as he had disclosed the condition here, sent me pics of the exterior and auditioned them for me. The one tweeter did sound odd. Thanks caseymou!

I popped the drivers/tweeters out when I got home. While the 6510 drivers had the same dates of Jan '87, the SL2000 tweeter marked SDA 1C was dated May of '88 while the tweeter marked SDA 2 was dated Jan '90.

While the plan is to replace these tweeters, I do have a question. Does the '1C' and '2' on the tweeters mean anything or should one SL2000 be just like another regardless of these numbers/date of manufacture?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • caseymou
    edited May 2005
    Thanks for making the drive to pick them up. I enjoyed our meeting and hope you have a great experience with your new SDA's.
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited May 2005
    Those speakers use the same SL2000 tweeter. The 1C and 2 marks indicates the model that each SL2000 was placed in. Having the dates and the models they went in will help you know if you have the original tweeters that came in your speakers. It can also tell you that they took another SL2000 from another model because the original must have been blown. It is also for warranty. Cheers!