fuzz sound when I move volume knob

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited May 2005 in Electronics
When I turn the volume up or down on my NAD C352 integrated amp with either the remote or by hand it makes a kind of fuzzy sound (through the speakers not itself). I've seen this happen with vintage stuff and my guess is that it is just dirty. I've only had it since september of 2004. I can't remember when this started or if it had it from the beginnning but I know it has been doin it for at least the last month.

Any ideas?
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2005
    Sounds like a dirty or going bad potentiometer... basicaly a pot that they use behind the knob. Some are easy too get too..some are not. Basicaly you would have too take it in for repairs...

I had a Tech unit do it after several years...what a bia it was to get too it! I kind of gave up on it myself. was not worth it to repair...but sounds like your's would be. No warranty?
  • michael_w
    edited May 2005
    It has a 2 year parts and labour warranty... I'll give them a call after school today and see what they can do. Thanks.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2005
    I think I might have had a similar problem with my NAD C320BEE. It was barely audible though and only seemed to happen at the very bottom of the volume control.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2005
    I've had some which became fuzzy then cleared up. Then fuzzy again. After a while I noticed it was always fuzzy when the air was dry and fine when the humidity was higher.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2005
    Quick Fix: Sometimes dust gets into the contacts. Spin the knob back and forth really fast and shoot it with canned air if you have some.

Good Luck:D
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • michael_w
    edited May 2005
    Well it seems that it is way more evident with burned cds so I'm wondering if that is the problem. I'll have to do some comparisons and see if it happens with real cds. Thanks for the tips and info people.