SDA 2B's

dbratton
dbratton Posts: 6
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I recently found a pair of SDA 2B's in a local Pawn Shop for $150. Each loudspeaker had a blown midrange. Replacing those cost me $120 total, so I think I have a pretty good investment here. They sound great by themselves, but I just added a PSW303 subwoofer. This seems to have had not only the expected benefit of enhancing the bass, but has opened up the mids and highs a bit. Is there a reason for this or am I just imagining it?

BTW, I have never used a subwoofer before, so I am open to any suggestions on how to best employ it. Thanks
Post edited by dbratton on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2005
    If you didn't get the interconnect cable with the speakers, build one. Your SDA's should be 6-8 feet apart, facing straight ahead, and pushed up against the rear wall. Properly set up they won't need a sub.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2005
    Are the speakers hooked up through your subwoofer? or directly to your amplifier?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dbratton
    edited May 2005
    Already built the interconnect cable and have them set up properly.

The subwoofer is connected to a LFE output on my receiver.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2005
    Welcome to the forum BTW :)

I think it's most likely a perceived improvement, but at least it's not negative. You made a good investment, it's a great speaker.

You have the subwoofer hooked up as simple as it gets, so no changes there IMO. Are you handling subwoofer adjustments at the subwoofer or with your AVR?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dbratton
    edited May 2005
    Well, I played with the volume on the sub a bit, but I am letting the AVR control it for the most part.

I have had the subwoofer for a week now and the effect is subtle on some recordings, but startling on others. I am definitely hearing things in the bass range that I did not hear before. I think that means I probably have it just about right.