monoblock amps and sda,s

Options
W WALDECKER
W WALDECKER Posts: 900
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
i am having a pair of extreme monos built built for me by odyssey audio 300 wpc /120 amps of current/180.000 uf capacitance i would like to try them with a pair of sda crs.s is there any way to get around the non common ground issue? please help me if you can!
Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
.Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
Post edited by W WALDECKER on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I would check with the builder, but you could strap the negative terminals of each amp to one another....it has nothing to do with sound quality.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited May 2005
    Options
    :rolleyes: I wish it were that simple when running 2 stereo amps in mono mode with the SDA's :o
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Like Doro said, if the manufacturer says you can tie the negatives of each amp together then you have no problem. Speaking of amps and sda's, Im off for some listening!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by candyliquor35m
    :rolleyes: I wish it were that simple when running 2 stereo amps in mono mode with the SDA's :o

The idea would still be the same regardless of the kind of amplifier. It dependent on the design of the amp, not whether it's a monoblock or a stereo amp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Would it be safe to say there aren't too many amps you can do this to? I'm baseing this on the presence of the long discussions of the AI-1 SDA IC that have taken place here.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2005
    Options
    This post indicates linking the negative terminals on two Carver m1.0t's will work.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14625&highlight=mono+common+ground+amps

EDIT: I checked with Rita at Sunfire and Ken at Polk Audio and they both couldn't understand how doing anything to the negative terminals would regain a common ground. HELP!