Eric Clapton....

2»

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2002
    There is no debate. Duane Allman is an amazing guitar player, and Clapton, on the three or four Cream albums, is one of the most influential guitarists ever. (And IMHO, "Derek & The Dominos" really doesn't hold up, "Layla" not withstanding. It's actually boring.) Duane is far more interesting and fun to listen to for longer. While Clapton only shines -- really SHINES -- with Cream, and it's mostly because the chemistry between those monster musicians is almost perfect.

The new remaster of the Allman Bros' FILLMORE SHOWS is simply stupendous. You can actually tell who is playing what, and hear them talking to each other in the mix, it's just that clear! It is a powerful monument of straight off blues rock and roll as good as anything, and far far better than most.

ALVIN LEE! Man, I remember seeing WOODSTOCK when I was like 12, and just being **** BLOWN AWAY by that performance! But... How good is he really? Was that a fluke? TYA albums bored me.

And I just consider myself lucky to have seen SRV close-up in our college gym. What an amazing show. He had pointy red boots on and played the devil outa that gee-tar. Robin Trower at Hammerjacks... Cool!

And, moreover, jeberhart is right on with his notation of the originals, the Delta blues men (I'll have to get Paul on here to post his pics from a recent trip to Delta blues country!). When I first discovered Led Zeppelin, of course I had to go back and listen to Robert Johnson and stuff. And I was immediately struck by how incredibly "aggressive" and totally dark and evil their music was. I certainly understand what attracted the young English musicians to it -- it's over the top in terms of serious emotion. And I think that the early English attempts to electrify it -- Zepp, Cream, etc. -- were very successful at capturing that vibe.

How dare you invoke Nietzsche on my forum! He was actually talking about how the evil men left their sheet music at home, and thus "have no songs." The stuff we're talking about has tremendous evility. ROBERT JOHNSON man!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited May 2002
    Micah-most of TYA's studio albums were ho-hum..they were and always will be LIVE band..Woodstock was not a fluke..Get UNDEAD, RECORDED LIVE, or LIVE AT THE FILLMORE if you want to see the Woodstock performance topped!!!

I Saw them live myself right before they broke up and they were excellent (and that was when there was problems within the band no less)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited May 2002
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    micah, alvin lee, was he the leader of " ten years after " band
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    edited May 2002
    now i remeber, in the early 70s i went to a " ten yrs after " consert and i remeber elvin lee he is awesome, the consert was in LA at the LA forum where the lakers play basketball it was a great concert.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Billm57
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by joe logston
    now i remeber, in the early 70s i went to a " ten yrs after " consert and i remeber elvin lee he is awesome, the consert was in LA at the LA forum where the lakers play basketball it was a great concert.

one and the same....one of the fastest players Ive ever witnessed..just give a listen to any live version of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl by TYA
  • joe logston
    edited May 2002
    yes this guy was awesome, what ever happin to him.

ELVIN LEE
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Billm57
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by joe logston
    yes this guy was awesome, what ever happin to him.

ELVIN LEE

still around..in fact Ten Years After did a reunion show at the House Of Blues here in Chicago a few years ago..I wanted to go but couldnt ..it would ahve been nice seeing them in a smaller venue like HOB
  • Micah Cohen
    edited May 2002
    The whole "house of blues" thing gives me the willies. Granted, the original Blues Brothers were a joke, then a tribute, and always a kick **** real live band (and a really great flick), but I just think that John would not have wanted a] a sequel with a fat unfunny Dan Ackroyd and 2] a cheesy restaurant franchise. It's all so... clean and engineered.

Give me Tippitina's (in New Orleans) any day.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Agreed.....

I am developing a serious dislike for most of the "cool" franchise places and theme restaurants. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville's are probably the worst. HOB, I will credit with getting some good acts in a smaller venue though.

However, overseas is a different story......after about 4 months in Korea, I found the Hard Rock Cafe in Seoul. It was a nice little slice of home.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    edited May 2002
    Ugh. Hard Rock. It's anything but. IMO, these places can't go out of business fast enough. I miss Lamours & Limelight & Pool Bar and Scrap Bar (NYC) and Hammerjacks (MD) and Gator's & Sandpiper (SC) and...

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by Micah
    The whole "house of blues" thing gives me the willies. Granted, the original Blues Brothers were a joke, then a tribute, and always a kick **** real live band (and a really great flick), but I just think that John would not have wanted a] a sequel with a fat unfunny Dan Ackroyd and 2] a cheesy restaurant franchise. It's all so... clean and engineered.

Give me Tippitina's (in New Orleans) any day.

MC

Believe me I think the whole Hous Of Blues concept is pure crap..especially here in Chicago..we have so many true blues club that this place is a joke but.....the sound in the place is excellentt so if any band comes that I want to see I wont hesitate to see them at HOB because of the phenomal sound system in there..especially the older bands that I saw in huge arenas at one time