2»

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bdaley6509
    Case in point
    Here's Tour2MA's response to a new member trying to find a pair of speakers in the flea market...

Tomar writes...
    Hi

I am looking to buy a pair of F/X1000 surrounds. If anyone is looking to sell, or if you know of anyone who is selling, please let me know via email or PM.

Thanks

And Tour responds...

Sure thing... you bet...Nothing gives us more pleasure than hooking up a one-post wonder...

That's real nice.

Actually, I think Tour's response was nice. My experience has been that people are more apt to do you a favor (or hook you up with a "deal") if they know you.

Let's look at this situation from another perspective. Let's consider a hypothetical audio club whose membership is open to the public. Let's say that fifteen members are at their monthly audio club meeting and a total stranger walks in and says:

"Hi, I am looking to buy a pair of F/X1000 surrounds. If anyone is looking to sell, or if you know of anyone who is selling, please let me know via email or cell phone."

The total stranger then abruptly leaves. There are many ways the audio club members could respond as the total stranger is walking out the door. Here are a few examples:

1. They could say nothing.
    2. They could refer him to eBay, Audiogon, or similar websites.
    3. They could hook him up with an awesome deal, which he could then take to eBay or Audiogon and sell at an awesome profit.
    4. They could emotionally scar the total stranger by engaging in the horrendous sin of making a sarcastic remark like--
    "Sure thing... you bet...Nothing gives us more pleasure than hooking up total strangers who show up at our meetings looking for deals."
    5. They could be real nice and say "Thanks for stopping by-we'll be in touch", as they throw the total stranger's contact info in the trash.

In the case of the hypothetical audio club, a total stranger was asking for a favor from a social group that did not know him.

In the case of the flea market poster referenced above, the fact that the total stranger was posting in a "flea market" environment strongly implies that the total stranger was looking for a "deal", where "deal"= selling price below or way below market value. I don't know of anyone who goes to a "flea market" looking to pay full retail value or full market value.

Therefore, the flea market total stranger was asking for two (2) favors: (1) He wanted forum members to assist him in his search for speakers and take the time to contact him when they had found him a suitable deal. (2) He expected that any speakers referred or offered to him would be at a price below or way below market value.

In view of items (1) and (2) in the preceding paragraph, Tour's response could be thought of as somewhat generous. Some might have (rightly) responded with "GFYS".
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks, raife...

bd,
    People with no investment in the Club who post pleas for relatively rare gear is a "hot button" that's been developing in me for a while. The larger button right next to it is reserved for anyone who would actually offer up a deal to such a post when there are long-term members who would like a crack at that item.

Everybody has different buttons.

Sometimes someone's button gets pushed inadvertently. Most of the time around here the parties involved in such a episode come to an understanding via posts, PM's or other means, and move on. They may just learn to tolerate each other; they may even become friends.

However, there have been instances when a member finds someone's button and they choose to see if they can wear it out. They even resort to making up false PM's, cussing and other abhorant behaviors.

I've been on both sides, pusher and pushee, a few times in my years here. The other parties have ranged from newbies to long-term vets. And aside from the few individuals who earned banishment, I have worked things out with everyone.

You appear to be determined to take the latter approach.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Nah, I'm done with this. My 'button' was pushed, but now I'm moving on. I appreciate your advice and input though.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited April 2005
    Options
    F1, seriously, I am apologizing for the foul language and rude rebuts. I'm not a bad guy. Hopefully someday you'll see that.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bdaley6509
    I'm not a bad guy. Hopefully someday you'll see that.

Don't worry about F1. Sure, it will be tough. And yes, maybe a group hug now and then might be in order. In any case I think, given enough time, he will get over you and move on with his life...

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BigJim
    BigJim Posts: 48
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Don't worry about F1. Sure, it will be tough. And yes, maybe a group hug now and then might be in order. In any case I think, given enough time, he will get over you and move on with his life...

madmax

I'd say a circle jerk between the few "core" members is in order...
    The way you think you can treat a newbie with a question, or one that needs info on his speakers is pathetic... And because one of the choice few got into a bad deal with another member, the rest of the his "internet forum friends" gangs up on not only him, but anyone who associates with him is ridiculed? Pitiful.. This is a Polk forum for speaker enthusiasts with questions and answers to those questions, or at least I'm pretty sure thats what was intended. But like other forums, a few who think they know it all ruin it for the rest, too much time in front of a PC, pissed-off because somethings missing in their lives... Well guess what? I't the life that your missing... Get one...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2005
    Options
    :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Decided not to contribute to the dickheadedness running rampant and deleted post. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Polksda - Why did you delete what you said? I read it...it's not altogether incorrect, but I don't quite agree with the overall emphasis of your verbage.

I actually do consider this forum my sandbox, just for the record, but not this thread :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BigJim
    The way you think you can treat a newbie with a question, or one that needs info on his speakers is pathetic... I't the life that your missing... Get one...

You have obviously never asked a question "as a newbie" that I had the answer to. Check out my list of posts and you will see I welcome every newbie (that I happen across) who stops by here and normally take a lot of time to explain something, find them links or whatever. In all cases they seem to feel welcome.

Now, step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and try the "search" function with the word "madmax". :)

madmax

• madmax
    edited May 2005
    Options
    BigJims first post.

Hmmm... Seems like quite a few "core members" welcomed him and answered some questions for him. I didn't happen to be one of them, must have not noticed the particular thread. SORRY.

madmax

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24000&highlight=BigJim

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I agree with ya madmax, you are always answering all of my questions time and time again, Much appreciated!! We do have people here who will bend over backwards to help, new or senior members fwiw :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I have been ignoring this thead for awhile but after all the BS I must respond. All of my questions have been by PM or in person but all of these core members you have been talking about have given me answers without ridiculing my lack of knowledge. If you don't like respones by someone put them on your ignore list. It's sort of like a remote control if you don't like it turn it off. I'm outta here. F1Nut is a class act all the way.

JT