input for ported box...

Big10Fan
Big10Fan Posts: 63
edited April 2005 in Custom Fabrication
dimensions.jpg

Dim A: from front of seat to rear, it can be bigger but at 12" it'd be great fit straight down

Dim B: Thats the hump you see, in the front it has a clearence of 5" and towards the back wall (like point D) it slopes to 3"

Dim C: Thats the front height between floor and seat, thats 9.5"

Dim D: Thats the slope back towards the wall and is about 7.5"

from door to hump is about 19.5" and the hump goes 15" side to side

basically if I can get a ported enclosure I wouldnt want it going any further than the hump so a total of 34" or so, I barely mastered howto calculate sealed box enclosures can anyone help me with ideas/drawing for a single 10" ported enclosure to do this? also I'd need atleast 2" space for excursion of the sub(and some top mount space) to not hit anything, I guess I can raise the seat with spacers somehow, but dont wanna go into any heavy modification. Any ideas?
Post edited by Big10Fan on

Comments

• Big10Fan
    edited March 2005
    and also 1.25 cu ft minimum, without displacement
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    hum... if it's still relevant, i can hack something up for you, if you tell me which sub you're putting in there
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Big10Fan
    edited April 2005
    i changed the sub from what I had planned, now Im going with the infinity 10.1, i think it is pretty much impossible to do...new dimensions I have(these compensate for top mount of sub and xmax)
    A:15"
    B: same
    C:9.25
    D:8.5
    from door to hump is about 19.5" and the hump goes 15" side to side

if you wanna give it a shot, good luck, but if not I had a sealed box planned, but still havent started anything
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    well, i'm not sure why you're so set on mounting it vertically, so i've taken the liberty of mounting it such that it faces into the passenger compartment, unless you say otherwise (and if it's okay that it does this, can you retype the measurements without taking into account xmax or anything, to be sure i'm using the right ones?).

now, the way this has turned out, the best alignment for sq is sealed (naturally; option 1), but an sql-focused vented alignment can give you 6 dB of boost, but at significant loss of transient detail (option 2). a good compromise is option 3, a vented alignment that produces 3 dB of boost at a more sq-friendly frequency.

all three of these can be made to fit in your space, but you have a few decisions to make before i sit down and draw it all up (it takes quite a while, and i don't wanna do it for any more than 1 box :)). you can pick sq (not as loud), sql (a balance), or spl (volume is the only goal). you can use more space under the seat for either a lower tuning (more sq) or a bigger bump in the response (more, um... bump). note that the lower and/or flatter a response you want, the more the box will approximate a sealed box (with the added disadvantages of a bigger box and crappier transient response).

if any of that is unclear, please let me know.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Big10Fan
    edited April 2005
    reason its downfiring is because theres not enough room to mount it to face forward, its only 9.25" which wont be big enough

anyways on the measurements those actually are the measurements, I made a mistake and didnt compensate for xmax/top mount lip

also worst case scenario I have the option to use washers and tilt the seat a bit to get extra room, which would change the measurements to:

A:15"
    B: front 6.5", back slopes to 3"
    C:11"
    D:9.25"

now those are WITHOUT xmax and top mount lip room...AIM me JLA585 if you can. thanks